Author Topic: Bonjour/Hi! from Laval (Qu?bec) Canada  (Read 2725 times)

macdengig

• Calm
    • IQCLAVAL10
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro with heated rain collector, late 2006 iMac running OS X 10.7.5 (Lion), WeatherCat 2.4.4
Bonjour/Hi! from Laval (Qu?bec) Canada
« on: October 12, 2019, 03:20:20 PM »
Hello?

I am a retiree from occupational health and safety since 2009.

Laval is located in the northern suburb of Montr?al (Qu?bec), Canada. Yes, we have quite a lot of snow in winter, here.

Being often on the road, my wife and I needed to have a good idea of the short term weather, especially during winter.  We then mostly relied on public weather forecast, but our interest in weather measurement developed.

Thus, one of my retirement projects was to set-up a personal weather station, which was done in September 2009.
- Davis Vantage Pro (wireless) with heated rain collector in the yard
- Davis anemometer and wind vane up on a mast on the roof (wireless)
- First computer set-up was a Mac mini running LWC 1.1.2
- Actual computer is my obsolete iMac (20 inch. - late 2006) running OS X 10.7.5 (Lion) and WeatherCat 2.4.4, with back-ups on Time-Machine
- Obsolete perhaps, but it can be accessed through our local network of odd Macs for control and update via Screen sharing
- Data can be seen using iOS Apps on our  iPads and Apple TV
- A yearly r?sum? is made every year using Numbers and Wizard, which is a a good stats App for Mac.

Well, that?s 10 years of local weather data to analyse ?

- Weather Underground  account since December 2009, call sign IQCLAVAL10
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IQCLAVAL10

- Data also used by Hydro-M?t?o, a local private company specializing in hydrology and glaciology for the prevention of river flooding caused by ice jams.
https://www.hydrometeo.net

(Yes it?s in French - most of this part of Canada is French-speaking.  English is a second language for me).

On a more personal basis, my missus and I are grand-parents three times, and we live in a cottage owned by our three cats.

Snapshot of my ? Weather Shack ? in the basement, in attachement.

Cheers to you all.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Bonjour/Hi! from Laval (Qu?bec) Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 04:13:31 PM »
Welcome to the WeatherCat forum!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for sharing! (Re: Bonjour/Hi! from Laval (Qu?bec) Canada)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 09:40:36 PM »
Let me second your welcome to the WeatherCat forum!  :)

Thanks for taking the time to share the details and photo of your setup!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Bonjour/Hi! from Laval (Qu?bec) Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 02:45:23 AM »
Welcome AboaRd, macdengig!

At first I thought you might live near one of the large airports near Montreal. [blush] Then I realized it was YUL that I think used to have "Dorval" in its name. "Laval" is a quite large city according to various maps! This "welcome aboard" may be appropriate since you seem to be surrounded by (cold?) water! [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system