Author Topic: WeatherCat for the Apple Watch  (Read 21982 times)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
WeatherCat for the Apple Watch
« on: March 28, 2015, 01:46:48 AM »
I am pleased to announce that WeatherCat is running on an Apple Watch. Not the real Apple Watch, mind you, but the Apple Watch Simulator.

The Apple Watch works as an extension of a paired iPhone. if you have the new WeatherCat on your iPhone, you can view weather data on your Apple Watch. Your displayed data comes from the first two rows on the iPhone WeatherCat*. The displayed watch weather data is updated in synchrony with the iPhone WeatherCat data even when you are using another app on your iPhone.

It's not pretty yet, but it works. I will have to wait until the Apple Watch is out before submitting the new version of WeatherCat for the iPhone. In the meanwhile, if you purchase an Apple Watch and would like to beta test the new app, send me your email address.

*Savvy iPhone WeatherCat users use the Edit function to arrange the rows in any order.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: WeatherCat for the Apple Watch
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:30:18 AM »
Nicely done Grand.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:01:52 AM »
Nice work!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
COOL! (Re: WeatherCat for the Apple Watch)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:32:51 PM »
Dear Grand, Blick, Stu, and WeatherCat gadget fans, . . . .

I am pleased to announce that WeatherCat is running on an Apple Watch. Not the real Apple Watch, mind you, but the Apple Watch Simulator.
. . . .

In a word . . . . KEWL!!!!

I must confess though that isn't the app that is going to get me to rush out and buy an Apple Watch, my old Casio is doing just fine . . . . .  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: COOL! (Re: WeatherCat for the Apple Watch)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 04:54:23 AM »
I must confess though that isn't the app that is going to get me to rush out and buy an Apple Watch, my old Casio is doing just fine . . . . . 

Are you kidding? Your Casio might track the time, but in no way can it tell you what's up with WeatherCat. I figure you for a $10,000 gold unit as soon as you sort your battery drain issue properly.
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 06:53:12 PM »
I am looking for more "WeatherCat for the Apple Watch" beta testers. We have been in beta on the actual Apple Watch device for some time. If any WeatherCat fans have purchased an Apple Watch and would like to comment on the beta version of WeatherCat for the Apple Watch, send me your email address. This is your big chance to show off your weather station on your Apple Watch.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Congratulations. (Re: WeatherCat for the Apple Watch)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 09:53:58 PM »
Dear Grand and WeatherCat users who can tell the time, . . . .

I am looking for more "WeatherCat for the Apple Watch" beta testers. We have been in beta on the actual Apple Watch device for some time.

Congratulations on the continued success on the project!  [tup]

Alas, even if my venerable Casio is down for the moment in need of a new battery, I have too many other "expensive hobbies"  to indulge in an Apple Watch at this time.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 10:47:03 PM »
This is your big chance to show off your weather station on your Apple Watch.
A "big chance" on a tiny screen? :P

OTOH, if some one will buy me a watch, I'll be happy to test the app. Probably still won't actually wear the "watch", however. [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Ktuley

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7923
    • KNMALBUQ8
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue 2, iMac (M1) 2021
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 03:39:55 AM »
I am looking for more "WeatherCat for the Apple Watch" beta testers. We have been in beta on the actual Apple Watch device for some time. If any WeatherCat fans have purchased an Apple Watch and would like to comment on the beta version of WeatherCat for the Apple Watch, send me your email address. This is your big chance to show off your weather station on your Apple Watch.

Did this ever come to fruition?  I'd be interested!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Welcome and ask "Grand" (Re: WeatherCat for the Apple Watch)
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 11:29:24 PM »
Dear Ktuley and WeatherCat welcoming committee,

I am looking for more "WeatherCat for the Apple Watch" beta testers. We have been in beta on the actual Apple Watch device for some time. . . .

First, let me welcome you to the WeatherCat forum!

Alas, I cannot answer your question directly.  WeatherCat for the Apple watch hasn't made it to the offerings of Poobah Industries:

http://itunes.com/app/poohbahindustries

I suggest that you contact "Grand" directly and ask.  You can send him a Private Message from this page:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?action=profile;u=156

Once more, welcome!

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 07:58:50 PM »

I had a "WeatherCat for the Apple Watch" working and being used by a WeatherCat enthusiast. Along comes Apple with an update to watchOS 2.0. This is not your simple tweak or two. It's a "forget everything that you did and do it the new way" re-write. Other projects have delayed the re-write. Since I've already forgotten everything I did and will have to learn how to do ti the new way anyway, it will probably be a while before it comes to fruition (again).

Thanks for asking.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Another "Cupertino monent" . . . (Re: WeatherCat for the Apple Watch)
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 11:26:58 PM »
Dear Grand and WeatherCat "disillusioned with Apple" types . . .  >:(

I had a "WeatherCat for the Apple Watch" working and being used by a WeatherCat enthusiast. Along comes Apple with an update to watchOS 2.0. This is not your simple tweak or two. It's a "forget everything that you did and do it the new way" re-write. Other projects have delayed the re-write. Since I've already forgotten everything I did and will have to learn how to do ti the new way anyway, it will probably be a while before it comes to fruition (again).

I sure am sorry to hear that Apple did something nasty like this to you.  I wish I could say I was surprised . . .  [rolleyes2]

Repeat after me . . . . Oh how I really miss Steve Jobs!!

Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 02:08:37 AM »
Grand:

You do good work and when you get around to Watch 2.0 it will be good too.
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
WeatherCat for the Apple Watch Redux
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 11:32:53 PM »

Thanks for asking.

WeatherCat for Apple Watch Redux (version 1.5) is ready for beta testing. Send me your email address if you want to try it. If you don't have an Apple Watch, send me your email anyway. I need the WeatherCat for iPhone portion tested too. The iPhone portion has the same features and interface as the store version (1.4), but the internals have changed to accommodate the Apple Watch. I've tested it and would like external verification. If it doesn't work for you, you can always delete this beta version of WeatherCat on your iPhone and reinstall the official release from the Apple iTunes Store.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 02:53:18 AM »
I'll send you my email addy if you'll send me a Watch! The cheapest version will be fine!
Thanks, in advance! [cheer] [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system