Author Topic: First fatality caused by a malfunctioning self-driving car.  (Read 4266 times)

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: First fatality caused by a malfunctioning self-driving car.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 05:35:32 AM »
Sorry if we seemed a bit snobby concerning the Forbes news site, Edouard. In my own experience, the site is much better than it used to be. However, first impressions are the ones that last and I formed my first impressions of Forbes when they were more attuned to milking advertisers in the new click bait economy of the 21st century. The offenses were terrible! It was everything they could throw at you in order to falsely bill advertisers for click or role-over payments. Every page was a minefield of words to avoid, corner triggers and worse than any, the sudden window-shade that covers everything.

Since 1997, I've been on a BBS site called Silicon Investor. I mostly read and post on the Apple Inc. thread, though I don't post near as often as I used to. But, I mention this because it was over that time frame that I formed my opinion of the Forbes site by repeatedly being baited to some interesting article, only to leave, in an irritated huff, with it half read. There are many other offenders of the same ilk, and I give them all as little time as possible. I also tuned my Safari browser to not allow Flash without my expressed written permission. But, I don't run ad blockers. I tried it, but I didn't like it.

Caveat emptor implies a quid pro quo; still? I get what you mean. With some news sources, you get what you pay for, and it's all free except for the rustle of tiny billboards and sometimes in-your-face attention grabbing nuisances where the cute programmers play wiggle games with you. That's when it gets too expensive for me and usually when I decide there is more important reading to be done elsewhere.

[cheers1]
Herb