Author Topic: Scenes of Spring 2017 captured by the WeatherCat community.  (Read 9556 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Cap is back on the rain gauge (Re: Scenes of Spring 2017)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 11:26:23 PM »
Dear WeatherCat lovers of Spring,

It has been a drought-breaking wet season here in California, but alas the normal pattern of wet and dry seasons remains.  Very dramatically the temperatures are going up and the ground is drying rapidly.  We usually get a little rain in May, but whatever we do get won't be able to wet the ground sufficiently.  From now on, the ground will continue to dry until the first serious rains of next autumn.

As the ground dries, the plants will soon start running out of moisture.  One of the first that will run out are the California Poppies.  Even with their deep roots, they don't last very long in the heat.  So displays like this will soon be gone:

Other flowering plants will also stop blooming in short order like this Wisteria:

With the warming temperatures and off-shore winds, Spring will soon vanish from California leaving the arid Summer conditions.

I put my dust cap back on the top the rain gauge collector cone.  No reason to allow the rain gauge to get dusty and nothing else.  While at least we have sufficient water to water, that means I have to start watering.  Since I never have enough time, this is another chore that don't look forward to.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Scenes of Spring 2017 captured by the WeatherCat community.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 01:22:07 AM »
Are there any details in the forum about this "dust cap" you mentioned? Search didn't turn up any info. I found my funnel almost completely blocked by pollen!!! [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 12:44:46 PM »
 This 7" cap fits the old style cone. I don't know what you have, though. I use it when watering the garden.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MURNOY/
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 02:06:45 PM »
uhmmn... Guess I misunderstood. The "dust cap" Steve linked to would certainly keep "dust" out! And birds, leaves, snow, sleet, hail and rain! [lol] I was thinking of some more along the lines of a microphone 'breath' guard; basically a piece of nylon hosiery stretched over a loop of wire/plastic. The fine weave actually stops the plosives from consonants like "p", "b", etc. from getting into a sound/recording system.
Of course, anything over the intake may deflect/splash some rain and reduce accuracy. [WCSmall] I guess weekly inspections/cleanings are the solution. "This year seems to have an excessive amount of dust/pollen", he said after sneezing... again! cmu:-)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
FYI project (Re: Scenes of Spring 2017)
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »
Dear X-Air, Steve, and WeatherCat instrument customizing types,

Are there any details in the forum about this "dust cap" you mentioned? Search didn't turn up any info. I found my funnel almost completely blocked by pollen!!! [banghead]

My old write-up on how I did this appears to have been lost.  So I recreated it:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2468.0

Cheers, Edouard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
uhmmn... Guess I misunderstood. The "dust cap" Steve linked to would certainly keep "dust" out! And birds, leaves, snow, sleet, hail and rain! [lol]

Those folks out west that do not get rain for several months at a time cover their rain collector to keep other stuff out. No rain, so no need to let rain through.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 02:12:49 PM »
While we are losing trees because he soil is so wet so deep the roots have nothing solid to hold to. Good time not to be a farmer... it's 'easy' to pump scare water out of the aquifer. It's a bit more difficult to remove excess surface water.

Currently have five NWS Alerts (wet & windy):
  • SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY
  • Flash Flood Watch
  • Flood Warning
  • Flood Advisory
  • Wind Advisory

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Sharp fellers d'em NWS types . . . (Was: Scenes of Spring 2017)
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 11:56:11 PM »
Dear Steve, X-Air, and WeatherCat fans of "understatement," . . . .  [rolleyes2]

Currently have five NWS Alerts (wet & windy):
  • SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY
  • Flash Flood Watch
  • Flood Warning
  • Flood Advisory
  • Wind Advisory

[wink]

Hmmm, Doesn't the remaining 4 advisories make it clear that there is some significant weather going on?  Isn't that kind of beating on a dead horse?

[biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
First air conditioner day of 2017! (Re: Scenes of Spring 2017)
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 12:12:12 AM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the increasingly rapid changing of the seasons,

We had 0.02" of rain on April 26th with a high of 59˚ F (15˚ C).  We are in day #2 of a projected 4 day heat wave.  Thus far it isn't extremely hot 85˚ F (29˚ C) but the afternoon is remaining hot with no significant cooling until late in the evening.  Under those conditions the house cannot be effectively cooled down and the build-up of heat finally took the house over the threshold of the air conditioner thermostat.  So we had our first A/C day on May 1st!

In a nearby court, I had noticed a cute little California poppy literally growing through a crack in the concrete.  I had planned to bring my DSLR on Wednesday and take a nice picture of it.  With the sudden heat, I wasn't sure it would survive until Wednesday so I took this quick photo with my iPhone today:

Not the best of pictures, but it gives you some idea of how tenacious these wildflowers can be.  Even so, encased in concrete, I don't think this little plant will hang on very long in the increasing heat.   The forecast called for continued warming until Thursday.  I don't know if this poppy will still be there on Wednesday or not.

Believe it or not, there is a chance for at least a little rain on Saturday!

Cheers, Edouard   

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »
Hi all,
This is probably considered cheating, but it IS Spring in the Turks and Caicos, where we just got back from...
Please don't hate me...

[cheers1]

Bill

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Get in any scuba? (Re: Scenes of Spring 2017)
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 11:04:03 PM »
Dear Bill and WeatherCat users who need to escape to the tropics from time to time,

This is probably considered cheating, but it IS Spring in the Turks and Caicos, where we just got back from...
Please don't hate me...

Of course not and you are 100% correct, it is springtime according to the calendar in the Turks and Caicos.  Although in tropical setting it is normally accepted that there aren't any real seasons.

So did you get in any scuba diving while you were there? I've never gone there but supposedly it has decent tropical diving.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 01:40:02 AM »
Awesome photo Bill. Thanks for sharing. I've been there too and it is a lovely place. We are still nursing 2+ feet of snow here.

The closest I have been to your location is watching Republic of Doyle on television and I know Newfoundland is not the same island. Someday, Nova Scotia is on my bucket list.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Spring's final act in Northern CA (Re: Scenes of Spring 2017)
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »
Dear WeatherCat watchers of the seasons turning,

After our first heat wave of 2017, signs of Spring are rapidly vanishing in Northern California.  However, there is traditionally one last display: the blooming of the wild mustard plants on the hills:

As you can see, the grasses have already turned to seed and turned brown.  Even with all that abundant rainfall, California turns dry in a hurry.  I checked the last of our drip irrigation system today.  It is time to get the lawn sprinklers ready for summer.  All this happening a little too fast for me to keep up!

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 11:58:59 PM »
I am one of only four CoCoRaHS stations in North America reporting more than 10 inches of snow remaining on the ground but we lost 6 inches to melting yesterday and today is even warmer so I expect to see some green signs of spring soon.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Hope your camera is ready! (Re: Scenes of Spring 2017)
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 11:10:57 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat watchers of the seasons turning,

I am one of only four CoCoRaHS stations in North America reporting more than 10 inches of snow remaining on the ground but we lost 6 inches to melting yesterday and today is even warmer so I expect to see some green signs of spring soon.

I do hope you can take some lovely Spring photos because it is definitely Summer here at this point.  I had to mow the lawn for the second time this year and I just checked the sprinklers so that they can go to work starting tonight!

Cheers, Edouard