Author Topic: OS X 10.10.3  (Read 6942 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
OS X 10.10.3
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:28:54 PM »
I upgraded to 10.10.3. The main obvious difference is iPhoto being replaced by Photos. It also comes with an update to OS X Yosemite Recovery (if you are already running 10.10). Also new is a culturally diverse set of Emoji, which will no doubt change all of our lives and solve every personal problem known to man (and woman).  There are several bug fixes and stability fixes. So far (two days) I have had no issues and WeatherCat is purring along nicely.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: OS X 10.10.3
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:21:11 PM »
Hi Blick
 I upgraded this morning so far so good no issues with WC for now

cheers
 [cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 02:21:17 AM »
I haven't had any issues either. Was just about to do the iPhone update to iOS 8.3 and the iPad to iOS 8.2, then 8.3.

[cheers1]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 06:23:05 AM »
iOS 8.3 resulted in one app that has a minor display problem. The developer is aware and will fix shortly. Both WeatherCat apps work fine.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 12:42:49 AM »
Upgraded to OS 10(X does still equal 10, right?! [banghead] ) 10.10.3 this morning. iDevices were updated this weekend. I'll be very busy the rest of the week learning all the new Emoji!

Biggest mistake I've made, recently (meaning a few days!) was to set up Apple's two-factor verification for a couple of apps. Open my iPhone the first time each day and it wants my Apple ID. Only choice is to enter the 15 characters or skip it. 1Password can now be used (on the iOS) to enter passwords in Safari iOS, now. Not so with the iOS requests... On the mini, I get an Apple ID request 10 times in a row if I enter the password; only twice if I just click 'Cancel!  >:( I still get a request to "create" a Apple-extra step-verification for un-named apps. Turns out it's for iMessages and FaceTime, neither of which I use on the mini. Of course, I have already done this... twice, already!  [banghead] :o >:(
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 03:38:15 AM »
Ouch, Xair. I was getting something like that with OS X 10.10.1 (I think). I really don't know what the precipitating factor was. Perhaps logging out of the computer or something similar that I rarely ever do. But, whatever it was, I had to log into my Apple account several times in a row sequentially, as if I was typing the password wrong. It would accept it every time, then come back and ask for it again. Same password, different reason. I just kept doing it until it was satisfied. That was at least 4 times or more.

Hasn't happened yet, since upgrading to 10.10.3. I'm not saying it's over yet, though.

[spin]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 03:57:21 AM »
I may just try to figure out how to "kill" the extra verification thing, every where. If it weren't for 1Password, I'd never use a web browser, and not having it always available in iOS is almost enough to make me stop doing anything there! I have so much more than passwords in that thing! ;) it is bad enough not having URLM Pro in iOS...

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 05:32:29 AM »
I use LastPass. It is not as visually beautiful as 1Password but it is a heck of lot cheaper and it works very well. It's free if you don't want to use it on iOS but you have to pay for it if you need your passwords on iOS. I like it quite well and it works every time. I only have to remember one password.

Download the OS X version for free and try it with a few of your apps. Edouard, you should like it because installing it does not require you to reboot. For those of you who are newer to the forum, Edouard set the world record for never rebooting until he installed Yosemite. Of course, he was running OS9 for most of those years.  :)
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 03:36:12 PM »
I've heard great things about LastPass. It has lots of experience at this task, also. I think it was first a Windows app. Once I adopt an app, I don't like to change; that seems to be getting worse as I age (like a fine wine, no doubt )

I met one of the 'worker bees' for 1Password way back in their first version. He gave me that version and I didn't pay form one for five or six years! [blush] After they answered some questions I felt shamed into paying them! ::) I, therefore, have a different relationship with Agile, even though the fellow I met no longer works for them. Running their ?etas on the mini right now.

The ability to access Safari in iOS is a big deal, I think they (and I'm sure other developers) put a lot of pressure on Apple to allow this kind of inter-app communication. Apple has been very, very adamant about security and sandboxing iOS since the beginning. Still, when the iOS throws up a modal dialog, there are only the choices they give you; no chance of switching to another app for help; even if you have to enter a password for that app! ::) Naturally, my Apple ID p/w is un-memorable! OK, I could memorize it, but that's what computers are for! I have a hard enough time remembering my own name! [computer]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »
I'm just using OS X and iOS's  built in password suggestion and management system. I was reluctant to do so for a long time, but once I gave it a try things got a lot simpler. Everywhere I've been that requires a password gets the treatment. It fills in automatically, even after resetting Safari. I've no idea what the passwords are. They're long and senseless. The only time I ever see them is when the OS makes them up.

I wonder how it will work after I get a new computer? Hmmmm?

[goofy]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 06:20:48 PM »
I wonder how it will work after I get a new computer
I'm sorry, I don't understand that. Please speak more slowly and try again, Dave.

At the chance of completely highjacking this thread...
1Password (and probably LastPass) are so much more than password creators/managers. I keep all my software license (cost/date of purchase/support email/registration info)/CC info/Email account info/Secure notes/etc./etc. in mine. It also allows me to type in a few letters of a sites name and opens and fills the login info for me, even if I don't have Safari running. That's similar to URLM Pro, except it doesn't have the security info, and I'd have to select it from a drop down list of my bookmarks. Both are in the Menu Bar and available even if nothing is running other than Finder.

If I ever lose either of those apps, I'll be off-line for months!! :o The only problem is Apple's return to "modal windows" in iOS. That prevents one from doing anything else except using the buttons on that window. "Modal windows" was something Apple fought against for many years, alas, they are returning, if only in the "walled garden". [rolleyes2]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Finally zapped da' PRAM!! (Re: OS X 10.10.3)
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 11:49:47 PM »
Dear Blick, Herb, Xair, and WeatherCat system administrators, . . .

Edouard, you should like it because installing it does not require you to reboot. For those of you who are newer to the forum, Edouard set the world record for never rebooting until he installed Yosemite. Of course, he was running OS9 for most of those years.  :)

Oh yeah! . . . . .

Since I'm without WeatherCat for the moment . . . .   I figured it was a good day to take another shot at zapping that darn PRAM in my MacBook Pro.  So I started by downloading the OS 10.10.3 combo updater and updating my rescue partition from 10.10.1 to 10.10.3.  I then used that to check all the other drive partitions using Disk Utility's First Aid feature.  I did have to repair my SSD drive!  :-[  I then continued to follow the recipe that is supposed solve all the Yosemite memory leak problems:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6623697

I repaired the permissions on my system drive.  I tried as best as I could to reset the SMC.  Since there is apparently no confirmation of this, I can't be sure I got it.  Finally, I zapped that pesky PRAM!!  This time I got the confirming second reboot sound, so I did manage to do that at least.  So I'll find out if this procedure really does solve the memory leak problems with Yosemite or not.

Once that was all done I used the combo updater to bring my SSD drive up to OS 10.10.3.  I finally then caught on all the remaining leftover updates.

So there . . . . Hah!! [lol2]

cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: Finally zapped da' PRAM!! (Re: OS X 10.10.3)
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 03:07:05 AM »
So there . . . . Hah!! [lol2]

I imagine this is that last time you will ever have to reboot in your life.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 04:43:22 AM »
I did my taxes today.

[rainyluck]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 05:10:34 AM »
"Why so early?" [lol2]