Author Topic: Sleeping computer  (Read 11339 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Sleeping computer
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 03:13:37 PM »
Reinhard:

The apple tech agent told me what you see there is hardware dependent - on both the iMac and the UPS. I have 2 iMacs, and the older one shows the two sliders, like you and Randall have. When I plug my UPS into it, the UPS shutdown options appear.

I read this on a post on another forum: Most current iMacs specify Pure Sinewave UPS output and some APC Back-UPS use Stepped Aprox Sinewave. You likely need the Smart-UPS range to satisfy that. Both APC and CyberPower offer models that will meet the spec.

When I look at the specs on my UPS (Back-UPS RS 1500) they say mine is "Stepped approximation to a sine wave." So that doesn't offer much help. I see the UPS options in Energy Saver on both of my iMacs but only on the most recent one do I see one slider.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2015, 03:58:25 AM »
Blick, after you come down from climbing the walls, perhaps you might try just disconnecting the USB link to the UPS on a trial basis and see if your hyper-sleep problem disappears. ? Aye?

Lol! I've got 4 UPS' protecting two computers and two TVs. The two on the computers have USB connections, but I never thought to hook them up. I thought I'd have to go hunt down the company's special power management software. ? Ha! Silly me. So, it was in the modern OS the whole time, and I didn't know it. Maybe I'll play with it and see what it does.

Thanks!
 [coffee]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2015, 05:35:27 AM »
Herb:

Ha ha. Thanks for the laugh.

You are reading my mind (what's left of it). I am slowly coming to the conclusion that the UPS might very well be the problem. I have two UPSs, both the same model. Both are out of warranty but I replaced the battery in both of them just a couple of years ago so the batteries are good, but the firmware for shutdown built into the units is old. I will add this to my list. Thanks for the suggestion.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 01:15:07 AM »
I have an older (late-2011?) iMac and a newer APC model (Back-UPS BR1300G FW:863.L2 USB FW:L2). I have always had the separate "Computer sleep" and "Display sleep" options in either the Power or UPS tab. If I can find it, I'll be happy to upload the extension/app/framework/etc., however, I can't find anything, appropriate, with "APC" in the name. [banghead] Of course, different models may need different code. Still, I'll look at the APC site for any suggestions. Frankly, Apple is beginning to get my goat with the way they remove things that many of us still use/need. Of course, they told us what the 'future' would be when they dropped "Computer" from their name...

...later (after eating the last helping of my first soup/stew cooking event): Unfortunately, it appears that Apple accepted info from APC and rolled it into the OS. That's why I can find no APC specific files. The only thing at the APC site for my model is for Windoz. On the incredibly small chance that you might find something, try this link to the <APC Product Support page> and enter your model number. [computer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 03:51:25 AM »
I have an older (late-2011?) iMac and a newer APC model?

Hey, hey, HEYYY! ? That's not an older model. That's the newer of my two! That's my ? N E W ? iMac (mid 2011). The OLD iMac is a 24" and it's early 2008.

[headbang]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2015, 09:44:11 PM »
As the original poster in this thread, I am sharing an update to my original problem. My late 2013 iMac insists on going to sleep periodically, even though I have all of the settings properly established to prevent this. Although appreciated, none of the suggestions posted here have solved the issue. I tried them all. Several calls to AppleCare have not resulted in any additional understanding of why this happens or how to prevent it. They did ask me to upload a dozen files for them to study. In the meantime, Edouard once again came to the rescue of a fellow WeatherCatter, which is why he is called Edouard the Magnificent. He recommended I consider using an application to keep my machine awake. He made several suggestions, which I researched and eventually decided to try one. It is a small app called Amphetamine. I have been using it for several weeks and it seems to have done the trick. It's a free app, available in the Mac App Store and I like it. It has a nice set of user preferences and is designed to prevent your computer from sleeping either indefinitely, or for user specified time periods. It is quite a bit more flexible than Yosemite's all or nothing control.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amphetamine/id937984704?mt=12

Now, if I can just figure out why this iMac crashes about every three weeks. It's probably not getting enough sleep.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2015, 08:52:46 AM »
LOL! That's funny!

Glad you have the sleep issue resolved, Blick! Still, there is the uncertainty inherent in any electronic device that doesn't behave as it very well should. If you've covered all the software potential vectors, then what remains is a strong possibility that you have a hardware issue. The same issue that buggered your sleep control may also be periodically pulling the rug out from under your processor. I don't suppose you have the extended warranty?

Are you monitoring the temperatures inside?
http://temperature-monitor.en.softonic.com/mac/download

If you've got an open ticket on the issue with Apple, you can keep sending them the crash log until somebody presents you with a plan.

Hopefully, it wont involve any giant wooden badgers.

[tup]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
La Brea Tar Pits? (Re: Sleeping computer)
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2015, 10:37:21 PM »
Dear Blick, Herb, and WeatherCat sys-admins,

Edouard once again came to the rescue of a fellow WeatherCatter, which is why he is called Edouard the Magnificent. He recommended I consider using an application to keep my machine awake.

Sorry to be playing the same song, but the only possible reason you could have been having a problem like this is - yet another OS 10.10 bug.  Did you have this problem before you upgraded to Yosemite?

Now, if I can just figure out why this iMac crashes about every three weeks. It's probably not getting enough sleep.

In the old days, I would try to go as long as possible without rebooting my Mac.  Being used to UNIX, that's the mindset UNIX sys-admins have.  Our home server running Snow Leopard can easily run for months unattended.  After I upgraded to Mavericks basically I was forced to reboot at least once a month, otherwise things would stop working.  I haven't been able to get my MacBook Pro to run a month without rebooting in a - very long - time.

I like many of the feature of Yosemite as well, but I easily could have lived without them in order to get a more stable computer.  For the many converts to Mac OS from Windows, this all may seem perfectly normal.  It really falls on the Mac faithful to call Apple to task for this sort of thing.  Steve Jobs would never have tolerated this sort of sloppiness in a flagship Apple product.

*Heavy sigh* . . . .

Edouard