Author Topic: Sleeping computer  (Read 11340 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Sleeping computer
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 02:36:21 AM »
My iMac went to sleep on me again yesterday, for 2 hours.

Since this is the third time this has happened to me in the last several months, when I called Apple, they immediately elevated me to a level 2 tech agent. The only problem with this was it took me 15 minutes to convince him that you could prevent a one-year-old iMac running 10.10.2 from going to sleep. He was convinced that it was no longer possible. But after he was able to prevent his own machine from sleeping when the display went to sleep, then he was a wee bit more helpful.

In any case, the only thing he ended up telling me to do that I hadn't already tried was to check the box that says, Wake for network access. He theorized that since my VP2 console is uploading data via IP that this should prevent the thing from going to sleep and if it did go to sleep it should wake right back up.

I have tried resetting the SMC, Restoring the Defaults in the Energy Saving Preferences, and reinstalling Yosemite.

Why is your Mac going to sleep - it's changed a little bit in 10.10 - you need the 'Prevent Computer From Sleeping Automatically When The Display Is Off' tick-box ticked in the Energy Saver Prefs pane (I'm guessing you already know this :) ).

If you go to the Console.app, select 'Diagnostic and Usage Messages' then enter 'power' as the search term, it'll display all log entries to do with power related events - there may be something there that can help diagnose why.

See the attached screenshots for the last messages from the console before it went to sleep and for the current Energy Saver settings.

By the way, he told me Apple recommends you do NOT check Start up automatically after a power failure because they want you to manually startup once you know the power from the mains is stable. I told him I thought that was silly if you have a decent UPS and told him he could quote me to Tim Cook should the opportunity arise.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 10:39:20 AM »
Hi Blick
 I know if this helps you with your problem
but on my iMac 21" running 10.10.2 I don't have that option any more since my UPS went bad ( see Attached)
 So maybe could it have something to do with your UPS?

cheers
 [cheers1]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 05:03:55 PM »
Interesting, I see exactly the same as Randall posted - a line where I can tell my Mac to sleep *Never* above the monitor settings. No help for you, indeed, but interesting.

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 05:08:05 PM »
Randall & Reinhard:

According to Apple, in Yosemite the options you see for Energy Saver preferences depend on your hardware. If you have UPS, you get different options than if you don't. The UPS options differ and come from the UPS manufacturer. Newer iMacs (late 2013 and newer) also no longer show a separate slider for the computer sleeping. MacBooks may also show slightly different options.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 05:27:55 PM »
Thanks for the info, Blick - I didn't know this! My iMac (early 2009) is also connected to a UPS (APC BackUPS Pro 900) and I don't see this UPS in system preferences. But I can see it via apcagent and in the About My Mac > System Report > USB devices.

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »
Reinhard:

I am so glad you mentioned you are running the APC UPS Daemon. I've wanted to ask someone if this agent is newer (or better) than the thing they have baked into Yosemite. I have never installed their daemon. Are you running the latest version? What options does it give you? I think that if you have that agent installed, you don't see the UPS tab in OS X. See the two attached screenshots for my UPS shutdown options. How do your options compare to these?
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 06:33:03 PM »
Blick,

I am afraid my infos are disappointing: I run the latest version of this Daemon, but it is *only* a monitor - no settings available herein. I would like to have this options you have within your system preferences. And no, if I remove this agent I don't see the UPS tab indeed. Attached a few pics of the daemon.

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 07:02:23 PM »
Reinhard, how old is your Mac Mini?
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »
It is a Mid 2011 model. And yes, it is plugged into the UPS. But only the power, not the USB-signal.
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 07:26:57 PM »
That could make a difference. OS X only knows you have UPS via the USB port. Several years ago, I used PowerChute but at some point, Apple stopped supporting PowerChute. In its place, they had APC give them some limited shutdown options that were coded into the operating system. I assume if you connected the UPS through USB the shutdown options tab would appear. This also assumes your model of UPS has USB connectivity and is, therefore, capable of having shutdown control from the computer.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 07:46:02 PM »
Just to clarify things:
An iMac is my main computer and therefore it is connected via USB to the UPS. The MacMini is supported with power by the UPS but as *only* dealing with WeatherCat it is NOT the main computer and therefore not connected via USB to the UPS. Maybe I will plug in the USB for testing purposes into the *WeatherMacMini* and see what happens...  ::)
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 07:51:57 PM »
Do you see the USB options and only one slider on your iMac?
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Software to intervene? (Re: Sleeping computer)
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 09:20:18 PM »
Dear Blick, Reinhard, Randall, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I sure don't understand what is causing your problems, but since it is still happening, have you thought to try some of those software utilities that are supposed to prevent your computer from going to sleep?  Here are two free ones:

Caffeine: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24120/caffeine
Amphetamine: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/52683/amphetamine

Some want some money like these:

Wimoweh: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/47117/wimoweh
Sleep No More: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/46240/sleep-no-more

Perhaps something else you could try is to have iTunes playing something continuously.  If your computer is playing music that might also force it to not sleep.

This is really weird, but since these utilities exist, you must not be the only person with this problem.

Good luck and extricating yourself from this problem!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 04:59:00 AM »
Thanks for the links Edouard. I will try Amphetamine if I see a repeat of this issue. Herb, please note that I say I will try Amphetamine (a software program), not that I will try amphetamines (a drug class). I am trying to fix the problem on my computer, not the one in my head.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 08:01:46 AM »
Do you see the USB options and only one slider on your iMac?
Blick,
I do not see the UPS option and I see two sliders, exactly as Randall does.
Reinhard