Author Topic: FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!  (Read 129013 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:11:15 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,

The LWC faithful and folks on MacWeather have been able to follow along in my efforts to restore our family heirloom 1965 Buick Special station wagon.  An abbreviated family history can be found in: The grand adventures of a trusty "billy-goat" Wagon!

For newcomers to this tale, I ordered a new engine for the car over a year ago and finally the engine is complete and really beautiful:

Yesterday I got preliminary results from the initial break-in of the engine on the dynamometer.  I don't have the precise numbers but the engine peaked out at just under 510 horsepower!!

That's over 20% more power than I was expecting and there are very few cars on the road with this horsepower.

So looks like I'm gonna have one assertive billy-goat wagon!!

I now return you to your usual WeatherCat programming  [cat]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »
Hi Edouard
 That's a beauty I thought it was supposed to be a family cruise car not a hot rod [woohoo]
 Looks like you'll be getting tickets for burning rubber speeding [goofy]  or are you just going to use it as a show car
any way thats a great looking carb you got there is it stock carb for a Buick?
Don't be poping any wheelies  [biggrin]
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Honest - that was the plan!! (Re: assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 03:05:28 AM »
Howdy Randall and WeatherCat hotrod cool cats!  [rockon]

That's a beauty I thought it was supposed to be a family cruise car not a hot rod [woohoo]

Uh, well, that was the plan - really!!

Even the engine builder was more than a little surprised by what happened.  Here is a choice snippet from his email with the results:

Your motor . . .  is simply an incredible piece.

It will idle at 650 rpm, with just a barely audible lope from it's STG 1 roller cam.. with over 16 inches of vacuum (and 30+ lbs of oil pressure, thank you TA for the great front covers to work with!)

And I expected, and built it to do just that.

But I didn't expect the power.. I was not trying to build power...

small CID for better efficiency
    small camshaft for low end torque and mild manners
    dual plane manifold

But, because you invested in a hyd roller cam, and STG 2 heads, and the FI you are rewarded with a 500+ hp motor for the Billygoat.. that purrs like a kitten going down the road.

Final numbers were 538 Torque/509 HP as I recall. I have all the documentation out in the truck, I just walked in, fed my dogs, and sat down there a while ago.

I expected maybe 450HP. This is the first motor that has really surprised me. . . .  I had no thought in my head that we were building you a 500 HP motor for the wagon.

WOW.. everyone that wants power, but not the hassle, wants this motor. I am sure I will build many copies, although more likely with the bigger CID 470.. for folks not going for the period look..

Could not have gone smoother, motor did not leak a drop of anything, and ran like a champ.

You will love it. I am glad it turned out so well for us

If I understand what happened, the modern components make these older engines much more efficient.  It appears that about 50 horsepower for this engine comes out of reduced friction over the original factory model.  That's one of the reasons the engine is going to be so much quieter than the smaller engine in the car now and . . . .(I hope, I hope, I hope ) the car will get much better fuel-economy then the car ever got.

So we'll see what happens when the engine finally gets fitted to the car!

Thanks for the reply Randall!!  [tup]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Busy with engine and car show (Re: One assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 07:51:14 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

Matters automotive have been consuming huge amounts of my time lately.  I've been horribly busy because I've been trying to make sure the new engine for my trusty wagon would arrive in Orinda in time for this year's Classic Car show.  This year it is happening this coming Saturday, the 22nd.

The engine finally shipped from Minnesota on Monday and is supposed to arrive Thursday some time.  A custom bracket had to be "spliced together" to add a compressor for an after-market air conditioning system.  Here is a photo of the engine with the compressor:

So, things related to weather have been forced to take a back seat.

The mania should end by Saturday . . . . I hope!!

Cheers, Edouard   [cheers1]

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:02:30 PM »
OK, that's going to use more gas than my truck!   [lol]
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 11:14:20 AM »
Edouard the engine looks bigger than my car, its huge, but looking so great. Can't wait for the next installment, i.e. when its installed and working. Are you doing that bit yourself?

Best wishes

Mike

I did hear that the last Space Shuttle will make its final journey today. Can I just confirm that there is no link between the two events and this is is reality a motor car engine?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Engine technology found and lost (Re: billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:03 PM »
Howdy Doc, Mike, and WeatherCat Automobile enthusiasts . . . .

The latest word is . . . . there has been a slip-up in the delivery scheme and the engine won't arrive until tomorrow afternoon.  The trouble with that is that there is a party called "Dancing with the Cars" the night before the show and the engine would be now arriving in the middle of the frantic preparations for that.  Last I heard, Orinda Motors didn't want the engine if it would arrive that late.  However, they are already in panic mode and haven't called me back to tell me what they want to do.

Could somebody - please - take Murphy off my back!!

OK, that's going to use more gas than my truck!   [lol]

Well, only getting the engine in the car and actually driving it will tell.  It is supposed to be very thrifty by design though.

Edouard the engine looks bigger than my car, its huge, but looking so great. Can't wait for the next installment, i.e. when its installed and working. Are you doing that bit yourself?

No, I'll have the fellows at Orinda Motors install the engine.  I know "amateurs" do this sort of thing, but at 650 lbs. (295 Kg.) that's more weight than I want to deal with!!

I did hear that the last Space Shuttle will make its final journey today. Can I just confirm that there is no link between the two events and this is is reality a motor car engine?

Yup, looks like my engine will be sitting in a depot only a few miles from where it needs to be when the Space Shuttle flies by.

Actually, breaks my heart to see all the fuss they are making about these retired shuttles.  If Americans cared enough about these machines, we would by flying the next-generation shuttle instead of sitting on our hands wondering why we lost our lead in space technology.  All of sudden the U.S. Air Force and a few private ventures have started to look at the supersonic jet-engine technology needed to really make a shuttle cost-effective.  When I was a kid, it was expected that hybrid aircraft-rocket launch vehicles would be commonplace by 1980.  30 years later, . . . . all of a sudden people are interested in the idea again.  Too little, too late . . . .

Oh well,  :(

Cheers, Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 08:42:11 PM »
Hi Edouard
 Sorry about the mess up on delivery But I thought from the pics you showed early a bout a month ago that you had it already, did you have to send it off to get something else done
The pics you posted earlier already had the carb on it
I was hoping to see the wagon popping wheelies by now [lol2]
 [cheers1]

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
I am with you on those thoughts Edouard. A HUGE loss to mankind. I saw the supposed replacement for the shuttle, I think it was called Orion. It seemed to be something of an embarrassment and a return to forty years ago. And as for sending American astronauts to and American space station on Russian rockets. You guys must cringe every time. Something went mighty wrong somewhere along the line. When I was a child I remember reading how there were plans to have a human on Mars before the end of the century. Ho hum.
Still looking forward to when your shop is on the launch pad, pity you cannot get sound on these forums.

Best wishes

Mike

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
It's . . . . HERE!! (Re: One assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 12:54:36 AM »
Howdy WeatherCat Automotive Enthusiasts,

The engine for my trusty wagon arrived just in the nick of time.  It arrived this morning when the show starts tonight.  For those who appreciate mechanical "sculpture," here are a few pretty pics:

The engine is so pretty it almost seems a pity to put it into a car . . . . almost that is!!

Stay tuned for a few car show pictures tomorrow!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Survived the car show. (Re: One assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 10:56:10 PM »
Howdy WeatherCat automotive enthusiasts,

Well I survived the Orinda Classic Car show.  Here is one quick picture to prove the point:

Now its time to get this puppy installed and actually running in the car!!

P.S. I know, around here I should call it a kitten, but have you ever heard of a 600 pound kitten?  [lol2]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Da' work has finally begun. (Re: One assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 10:15:44 PM »
Dear WeatherCat automotive enthusiasts,

For those of you still curious about the status of my 1965 Buick wagon, I can report that at last work on installing the new engine and a whole lot more has started.  Because of my greed in wanting air conditioning, the work will be done from the "inside out."  First the dash is being modified to take the cabin-side air-conditioner components.  That is because the location of the refrigerant and heater hoses needs to be established before the engine bay can be closed and painted.  Only then can the new engine be fitted into its new home.

On Monday, the shop dismantled the dash:

They also corrected the hole I had made for the passenger-side A/C vent.  You can see the welds used to build up the metal.  I took the car over to the body shop this morning so the dash can be painted before it is put back together.  So progress is being made and I hope that soon this burden will finally stop overwhelming my free time so I can pursue some leisure related to weather!

Apologies for the inconvenience and thanks for your support!

P.S.  By the way I owe Steve a special thanks for his nudging me to use the SmugMug photo sharing service.  That should make my life a lot easier.  Thanks Steve!  [tup]

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 05:39:55 AM »
Love that Dash Board, Ah the radio gear I could stuff in there would make it loads of fun!
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
That's what - *YOU* - think! (Re: One assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »
Howdy Doc and mobile weather fans,  . . . . . .

Love that Dash Board, Ah the radio gear I could stuff in there would make it loads of fun!

;) Oh Na' ya' don't!!  Somehow the aftermarket air conditioner unit has to fit in there.  It is supposed'Ta  . . . . . but I sure will feel better when it does.  It sure is a big box!   

On the other hand, perhaps I could fit all that radio and weather monitoring gear into a nice "mature" Airstream travel trailer.  There are three of them built in the 1960s on eBay right now  . . . . . . . . 

Sure could get myself into a heap of trouble real-fast!!   [banghead]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 09:49:28 PM »
Nice dash!

Coincidentally, me and a friend spent six hours today under my dash ripping it apart to replace the heater matrix o-rings that have been leaking for the last couple of months. Amazing number of air ducts needed to be 'bent' out of the way/cut/removed to get at them (and then re-assembled). ?1 in parts, 12 hours labour (the dealer wanted > ?1000).

One of those jobs with a real scary moment when you realise you have to run the engine up and hope the new rings are in properly - if not you know the interior is going to get about a gallon of coolant emptied into it real quick. Luckily they are and now we're nice and dry again  :)

However, all I can do now is lie here, groaning and wondering just how many muscles (I didn't know I had) can either a). seize up or b). create unimaginable pain.

Time for bed  [bed]

(You should definitely get the trailer BTW, great fun!)