Author Topic: WeatherBug pulling the plug on PWS data submissions.  (Read 3806 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherBug pulling the plug on PWS data submissions.
« on: April 05, 2018, 11:41:09 PM »
Dear WeatherCat faithful,

I assume at least some of you received this email from Earth Networks:

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1043477/3392cf570c/521491053/26f6993e57/

The key point is this sentence: "Effective at the end of May 2018, Earth Networks will be changing the way we receive data from your personal weather station. We are discontinuing the Earth Networks PWS program but will continue to integrate your data via the NWS CWOP network."

For most of us the key instruction is: "If you are already sending data from your personal weather station to NWS CWOP, you are already set in the transition, and data from your personal weather station will automatically flow into the Earth Networks weather station network. You will only need to disable WeatherBug publishing from your personal weather station publishing application to ensure your personal weather station is no longer transmitting data to the Earth Networks PWS system (which will be shut down at the end of May 2018). "

All this is rather interesting considering the effort that first myself and ultimately Stu had to invest to make the first LWC and then WeatherCat interface to WeatherBug work.  Perhaps this has something to do with all the difficulties Weather Underground had in moving their data upload infrastructure to the Amazon cloud.

It will be interesting to see what effect this announcement will have on the myriad of other weather upload submission services out there.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: WeatherBug pulling the plug on PWS data submissions.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 11:50:10 PM »
I'm not sure I understand all that I don't know about the interconnectedness of CWOP/WeatherBug/WeatherUnderground/NWS. I used WeatherBug on my iDevices long ago, barely use WU except through WC and my site for the collected RADAR vid. Can't remember last time I visited CWOP, but do submit data to them.

Just one less thang I was going to set up with WC3 when I finished getting WC2 up and running (which I think I have finally done!).
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 09:59:49 AM »
Thanks for posting that, Edouard. I was going to and then got tied up doing other things and forgot about it.

I assume a future WC update (and eventually the User Manual) will remove WeatherBug. Since I also send data to CWOP, guess I might as well turn off the WeatherBug updates before my log starts being filled with 'Unable to Connect' notices.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 06:09:13 PM »
For years now I was going to create an account and upload to WeatherBug. This was going on be the year I stopped putting it off. Like many other things in my life, if I put it off long enough, eventually it no longer matters.
Blick