Author Topic: "Bomb" Wx?!  (Read 1438 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
"Bomb" Wx?!
« on: March 13, 2018, 03:46:38 PM »
I suppose organizations always need new words and catch-phrases to maintain awareness and possibly increase attention. But who and why did the term "Bomb Cyclone/Storm/etc." come from? It is either totally misleading or a sign of how much it takes to get our attention. Since most devastating weather comes from a low pressure system, it is not analogous to an EXplosion but an IMplosion. [banghead]

Perhaps someone has another possible explanation? Life is not always "either or". [rolleyes2]
this guys needs to get a life!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Second Coming is WAY overdue! (Re: "Bomb" Wx?!)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:43:44 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat victims of modern societies incessant shouting,

I suppose organizations always need new words and catch-phrases to maintain awareness and possibly increase attention.
. . . . . .

Alas, you have hit the nail on the head.  When I wasn't a much younger man the only named storms were cyclonic in nature.  I'm not sure when it started, but the British started to name what they considered to be bad storms to increase public awareness.  Of course the French weren't going to stand idly for this sort of thing and started their own major storm naming program.  Of course the names of the storms wouldn't be the same.  Because people aren't completely insane (yet) the French did concede that if a storm previously named by the British were to stray across the channel the French would continue to use the same name in order to avoid confusion.  Nonetheless, major Atlantic storms run the risk (or luxury) of either getting an English or French name depending on their trajectory.

Now does this seem like a reasonable scheme considering that not that long ago Geologically speaking that England and French was still connected by land bridge?

Yeah, . . . . . . The Second Coming is way overdue! . . . .  [rolleyes2]

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

P.S. As far as I know, Brexit doesn't include any provisions forcing the British to keep any of their names storms from straying into Europe!  lol(1)