Author Topic: Simple Webpage Image Size  (Read 1134 times)

currymac

• Calm
    • EW2461
    • INOVASCO121
  • Station Details: Davis Instruments Vantage Pro 2 feeding a headless Mac mini
Simple Webpage Image Size
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:25:57 PM »
Can someone tell me what image size and resolution is required so that WeatherCat does not "alter to fit" on it's simple webpage?

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Simple Webpage Image Size
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 06:32:37 PM »
My version of WC Prefs shows two choices for a Simple Web Webcam picture: 320 x 240 and 640 x 480.

Those are pixel dimensions, the "resolution" can mean two different things, the actual image file size or whatever the display device is set to. The file size is simply the product of the two dimensions; ~76,800 bytes for the smaller and ~307,200 bytes for the larger. Each of these files will have extra bytes for details needed for the OS and file attributes used by other things.

Many refer to those two numbers as their "resolution". Most camera makers use the number of pixels on their sensors as their "resolution", the higher the number, the better, according to them. ;)

When viewing these images we need to tale into account the pixels per inch of the display device. Originally, the Macintosh broke the current rules by offering 92 pixels per inch and offering text at that same "point" size! "Points" defined text sizes in printing, the first Mac's now made it possible "what you see (on-screen) is what you get (on paper)"!

So, on-screen "resolution" is now way beyond 92 pixels per inch, your phone probably has well over 300 pixels per inch! If a web page specifies the dimensions of an image, it is easy for the browser to convert the 320 x 240 image so it will be more than barely an inch wide on your high resolution device.

As to your second question, I have no idea what you are talking about! I have never created a "Simple Web" page with WC. Most browsers will simply display n image at the dimensions provided in the file unless they are specified in the img tag or an appropriate CSS file. However, most browsers will change the displayed resolution, usually with command "+" or "-" keystrokes. Command "0(zero)" will usually return the resolution to the default setting.

Hopefully The Manual has some info on that "alter to fit" or others here will have some useful info and an answer.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear currymac, X-Air, and WeatherCat Welcome wagon,

I see that this is your first post to the WeatherCat forum, so by all means welcome! . . .

Can someone tell me what image size and resolution is required so that WeatherCat does not "alter to fit" on it's simple webpage?

Unfortunately, I do not understand your question exactly.  Most of us have some sort of custom website, so we don't run the simple web.  As I recall, it doesn't display the webcam image as is.  Are you starting with the simple web HTML and modifying it to display your webcam image?

Normally, HTML doesn't scale images unless the code to insert the image includes image dimensions and these are different from the actual image size.  Could you tell us how you are attempting to insert your webcam image?  That would help us understand your problem.

Once more welcome to the WeatherCat forum!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Simple Webpage Image Size
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:45:52 PM »
"I see that this is your first post" Oops! I missed that! I was thinking we already had a "curry" something or other here ("bcurry"?)! Maybe you are a relative? Whatever, Welcome AboaRd, curry!

My second assumption (the first being that you were already a member [blush] furst erer of thee day!) was that you were talking about the WX Pref->On-Line->Simple web, which does have a checkbox for including a webcam image, Edouard. As I've said, I've never asked WC to create a "Simple web" page, but I assume it uses/includes the dimensions selected in the popup menu in that section of the Prefs.

By the way, what browser are you using?

Perhaps, curry, if you could upload a screen capture of your page in your browser we could help. Even better would be the source of that page. Most browsers have a menu item (try shift-command-u in Safari) to allow you to see the actual html in a page. You may have to enable the "Develop" Menu in Safari's Prefs to enable that keyboard shortcut.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system