Author Topic: How to force data download from data logger or check logger history available  (Read 2132 times)

lakedog

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4001, DW4184, D9315
    • KGAGAINE13, KGASAUTE2, KGAGAINE24
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro(Phasing out, failing wind speed), Davis Vantage Pro2
I have a Vantage Pro 2 and WeatherCat (some version of  .3) on an older MacBook Pro on El Capitan at a vacation home in the N. GA mtns. The whole area lost power for several days in the wake of hurricane Irma and the station went offline. We did not get back there for over 6 weeks, and the Mac had booted to login and the console was working. WeatherCat was not running. On restart, it did not show the usual "downloading data history from" the station. Examining the data viewer, there was no data for the dates before this startup. I don't know if any of the missing data is present on the logger.

How can I examine the logger contents, and force a download into weather cat if some of the missing data is present on the logger?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherLink (?) (Re: How to force data download from data logger)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:33:37 PM »
Dear lakedog and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I have a Vantage Pro 2 and WeatherCat (some version of  .3) on an older MacBook Pro on El Capitan at a vacation home in the N. GA mtns. The whole area lost power for several days in the wake of hurricane Irma and the station went offline.

. . . .

How can I examine the logger contents, and force a download into weather cat if some of the missing data is present on the logger?

Sorry to hear about your predicament.  There isn't any way to force WeatherCat to download the data and there shouldn't be any need.  WeatherCat automatically detects if there is data on the logger and tries to download it.  The only way I know of manually inspect the contents of the data-logger would be to use Davis's software WeatherLink.  It has a download data option.  If you kept a copy of that software you might try that to see what it can find on the data-logger.  Unfortunately, it could be that somehow the logger got clobbered due to the extreme conditions.

Cheers, Edouard

lakedog

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4001, DW4184, D9315
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro(Phasing out, failing wind speed), Davis Vantage Pro2
Thanks.

Unfortunately, that is what I feared. Also, I read on other posts about using WeatherLink to look at the logger, but unfortunately too, my version of WeatherLink was originally Windows. Davis's upgrade for Mac will only install if  you have the original Mac version installed.

For the future, maybe that should be a WeatherCat feature add, being able to directly query the logger history. I am no programmer, but it doesn't seem to a layman that it should be too difficult. I will stand corrected if I am wrong.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Ask on WXforum? (Re: Check logger history available)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 09:26:09 PM »
Dear lakedog and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

For the future, maybe that should be a WeatherCat feature add, being able to directly query the logger history. I am no programmer, but it doesn't seem to a layman that it should be too difficult. I will stand corrected if I am wrong.

In the meantime you might look into some other tricks that could get you what you want.  I'm not certain, but I believe you can communicate with the data logger using a terminal program and giving it simple commands.  You might find directions on how to do this on a more general interest forum like WXforum:

http://www.wxforum.net/

Just a search string like "query Davis data-logger" might bring up what you want.  If you can't find it, it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.

Cheers, Edouard

lakedog

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4001, DW4184, D9315
Thanks. I will try that when I get back to that location; but I imagine that the logger will have rolled that data out by that time, if it is actually there. But, it is worth knowing if it will work for the future.