Author Topic: macOS 10.12.6 Combo Updater  (Read 2515 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
macOS 10.12.6 Combo Updater
« on: July 21, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »
Code: [Select]
[url=http://"https://support.apple.com/kb/DL19..."[/url]
Yep, once again, the boards software adds an extra 'http://' to the already formatted url. I thought I had created a text shortcut that would work here. In fact I think I did, but in this case I simply copied what that output did in another forum. It's y responsibility to conform the post has no ererz in it. I apolologize.

Let's see how the editing goes... nope, ley's try again... you also can't check it in just the Preview, it must be checked after the Post/Save button completes the final "computer coded editing".
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Why not use App store? (Re: macOS 10.12.6 Combo Updater)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:57:07 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat sys-admins,

It appears to me that you link is broken once more.  There are some quotes that shouldn't be there.  However, why would you want to use such an updater since you can easily do this from the App store?  For a major update I indeed prefer to have a bootable installer, but I hope for bug fixes we can trust Apple on this one.

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. I - hope - we can stuff trust Apple to get this sort of stuff!

P.P.S. You might also check if any of your software needs to be updated before.  BookMacster needed to be updated for this OS upgrade.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: macOS 10.12.6 Combo Updater
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 01:29:51 AM »
Coreked thee url showing what the forum s/w does two the actual url.

As for using the Combo, why not? I've never had or heard of the Combo install failing. Can't say that for the App Store. It could simply be that the App Store is much, much busier than the Support site and doesn't handle the mixed traffic as well. Who knows?  It's just not as often posted, so I did. No charge. ;) Although it would be even better if I'd done my duty of verifying the link. [banghead]

Why tempt fate. Use what has the best record of performance. Just my career-induced attitude. cmu:-)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 05:29:44 PM »
Other than the App Store notification, how do you find out that an updater download is available?
Is there a URL to a collection of updaters?

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »
Grand
 Try this, this is where i download from:https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

cheers
 [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 07:30:25 PM »
how do you find out that an updater download is available?
The Apple System (sometimes called "Notifications") takes care of that. [rolleyes2] How long did it take you to break the habit of not reading the labels on the 'Updates are available' drop-down?! [banghead]

Maybe Edouard will post when each one is available? [cheer] cmu:-)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:57:39 PM »
Don't know if anyone here uses Cocktail. It is created/supported by a dev in Sweden that creates Mac maintenance software. I'll simply quote much of a recent email to justify my reasons for using the Combo updaters:
We would like to remind you that it is always recommended to use a combo update to update macOS.

Many of the problems we are asked to solve can be traced back to a faulty system update or corrupt system files. While it may sound pretty serious there is usually a very simple way to fix it, reinstall the latest Combo update from Apple.

When Apple is testing macOS updates with its developers they are using the Combo update, which is a package that contains every single update from the day your macOS version was released. However, what they deliver to the end users is normally an incremental update which only contains the changes from say 10.12.5 to 10.12.6. Unless you have a clean install there is a chance that it will replace files it shouldn?t or, on the contrary, that it won?t replace files that have become corrupted and are now causing problems.
If it's good enough for Apple developers, it's fine for me. ;)