Author Topic: Virtualhere USB over IP  (Read 2524 times)

dweeks

• Calm
    • KAZFLAGS50
  • Station Details: David Vantage Vue
Virtualhere USB over IP
« on: July 10, 2018, 07:37:46 PM »
I've been running my Davis Vantage Vue with a USB cable connecting the console to my Macbook that runs WeatherCat.

I am moving to a new location and want to keep the computer running WeatherCat in a network closet a good ways away. I have a Cat 5 Ethernet drop right by where the console will live. But I can't run a USB cable to the network closet, as the distance is too great for USB.

Has anyone run Virtualhere, which is a solution to getting USB via IP?

If not, I would welcome any suggestions about how best to connect a Davis console using USB to the Weathercat computer about 50 feet away.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Anyone else use Virtualhere? (Re: Virtualhere USB over IP)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:49:38 PM »
Dear dweeks and WeatherCat welcome wagon,

Since this is your first post on the WeatherCat forum let me be the first welcome you!

I am moving to a new location and want to keep the computer running WeatherCat in a network closet a good ways away. I have a Cat 5 Ethernet drop right by where the console will live. But I can't run a USB cable to the network closet, as the distance is too great for USB.

Unfortunately, I have seen such software but never had a need for it.  Are there any other WeatherCat users using this product or something similar?  Is your plan to have another Mac or similar device running the Virtualhere client software at the location of your console?  Exactly how far will your console be from your WeatherCat computer?

If not, I would welcome any suggestions about how best to connect a Davis console using USB to the Weathercat computer about 50 feet away.

Unfortunately, I can only offer one negative example.  For about a year, I attempted to run USB over Cat-5 using devices like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Extender-Transmitter-B202-150/dp/B003WO40V6

Unfortunately, it didn't provide the sort of connection that was sufficient to keep WeatherCat connected to the console.  As a result, WeatherCat would be constantly losing the connection and costing me data.  Eventually I had to give up and solved the problem another way.  I purchased a Davis Weather Envoy:

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/wireless-weather-envoy/

I located the Envoy next to my computer running WeatherCat and moved the data logger from my Console to my Envoy.  That way I could place the console where it was convenient for the family and still have data travel from the ISS to the Envoy where it would be connected to my Mac using the original Davis USB cable.  This has worked flawlessly ever since.

If you cannot find any other reliable way to move your console, the Weather Envoy is definitely a robust solution and it isn't that expensive if you purchase it from a discount outlet.

Let us know how your relocation project unfolds.

Cheers, Edouard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Anyone else use Virtualhere? (Re: Virtualhere USB over IP)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 05:46:40 PM »
the Weather Envoy is definitely a robust solution and it isn't that expensive if you purchase it from a discount outlet.

Or used. I have an Envoy I am not using any more.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

dweeks

• Calm
    • KAZFLAGS50
  • Station Details: David Vantage Vue
Re: Anyone else use Virtualhere? (Re: Virtualhere USB over IP)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 10:42:30 PM »
Edouard,

Thanks for the welcome note! I've been lurking here for several years on and off.

I'm going to try the Envoy. It's a bit more expensive than USB to Ethernet dongles but they all seem to be for Windows, and I'm a Mac guy.

Next question. I've been running WeatherCat on a Macbook running OS X El Capitan for so long that I've forgotten where I got the USB driver.

Do you know the right place to get the USB driver that will Davis Vantage Vue to talk to High Sierra Macs?

Thanks!

Dear dweeks and WeatherCat welcome wagon,

Since this is your first post on the WeatherCat forum let me be the first welcome you!

Unfortunately, I have seen such software but never had a need for it.  Are there any other WeatherCat users using this product or something similar?  Is your plan to have another Mac or similar device running the Virtualhere client software at the location of your console?  Exactly how far will your console be from your WeatherCat computer?

Unfortunately, I can only offer one negative example.  For about a year, I attempted to run USB over Cat-5 using devices like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Extender-Transmitter-B202-150/dp/B003WO40V6

Unfortunately, it didn't provide the sort of connection that was sufficient to keep WeatherCat connected to the console.  As a result, WeatherCat would be constantly losing the connection and costing me data.  Eventually I had to give up and solved the problem another way.  I purchased a Davis Weather Envoy:

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/wireless-weather-envoy/

I located the Envoy next to my computer running WeatherCat and moved the data logger from my Console to my Envoy.  That way I could place the console where it was convenient for the family and still have data travel from the ISS to the Envoy where it would be connected to my Mac using the original Davis USB cable.  This has worked flawlessly ever since.

If you cannot find any other reliable way to move your console, the Weather Envoy is definitely a robust solution and it isn't that expensive if you purchase it from a discount outlet.

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Can't go wrong with Envoy (Re: Virtualhere USB over IP)
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 11:47:01 PM »
Dear dweeks and WeatherCat "Mac guys" . . . .

Thanks for the welcome note! I've been lurking here for several years on and off.

You are most welcome!  :)

I'm going to try the Envoy. It's a bit more expensive than USB to Ethernet dongles but they all seem to be for Windows, and I'm a Mac guy.

Davis created the Envoy precisely for the situation you are in and it works great.  The only downside I can think of is that WeatherCat no longer corrects the date and time on your console, so occasionally you have to correct for the time drifting.

Next question. I've been running WeatherCat on a Macbook running OS X El Capitan for so long that I've forgotten where I got the USB driver.

Do you know the right place to get the USB driver that will Davis Vantage Vue to talk to High Sierra Macs?

You'll find that information and more on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

There is a dedicated page to Davis station hardware:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Davis

You'll find the link there.  To save you time though, I'll provide it below:

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

You have to scroll past the Windows drivers to reach the Mac one.

Cheers, Edouard