Author Topic: Looking forward: Weathercat and 32 bit issues  (Read 2566 times)

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
Looking forward: Weathercat and 32 bit issues
« on: July 13, 2019, 10:50:09 AM »
Using app Go64 (https://www.stclairsoft.com/) to check 32bit apps still on Mac, found that WeatherCat file WC_relaunch is a 32 bit app. Will this be updated in near future?

(screen shots attached to show Go64 info)

jenna
REVISED to add addtl. screen shot with more information

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Very curious! (Re: Looking forward: Weathercat and 32 bit issues)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 09:49:20 PM »
Dear Jenna and WeatherCat faithful,

[wink] . . . . . Hey where have you been?  You owe us two months of WeatherCat climate reports! . . . .. . .  lol(1)

Using app Go64 (https://www.stclairsoft.com/) to check 32bit apps still on Mac, found that WeatherCat file WC_relaunch is a 32 bit app. Will this be updated in near future?

I hate when somebody finds something in WeatherCat that I didn't know about and this one is particularly curious! 

If you "uncan" the WeatherCat application bundle, this file is described as:  "UNIX executable (Intel:32)"  It is also described as a document that can be opened with the Terminal program.  However, I'm not bold enough to try running it to see what it does.  I did run the UNIX command cat on it.  There is some gibberish consistent with an executable. But there are some text strings.  In particular there is this one:

Code: [Select]
/Users/Stu/Downloads/relaunch-daemon/relaunch.m/Users/Stu/Downloads/relaunch-daemon/build/Relaunch Demo.build/Release/WC_relaunch.build/Objects-normal/i386/relaunch.o_main_main_NXArgc_NXArgv___progname__mh_execute_header_environstart.objc_class_name_NSAutoreleasePool.objc_class_name_NSString.objc_class_name_NSWorkspace_GetProcessForPID_NSLog___CFConstantStringClassReference_atoi_exit_objc_msgSend_sleep$UNIX2003dyld_stub_binder
That's not the sort of file path that should ever appear in a finished application.  So my guess is that this is a little bit of test code that Stu left in for his convenience and indeed he forgot that it wasn't 64-bit compatible.  It might be some old something-or-other that Stu simply forgot to remove.

So on this one we'll just have to wait for Stu to come up for air and let us in on the secret!

Thanks for finding this Jenna and taking the time to post it!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Looking forward: Weathercat and 32 bit issues
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 02:35:45 PM »
This also proves that Randall was not losing his marbles when he reported a 32-bit warning after upgrading to the latest WC version. Thanks for sharing.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 05:29:11 PM »
I can find several (older) instances of that file on my OS also. But I've not seen that warning, even with Mojave macOS 10.14.5. OTOH, it's running on a headless mini and it may have given up sending me screen notifications! [rolleyes2] [blush] But I agree with elagache, it's likely a dev-used file that is rarely, if ever, used by us mortals. It may only make itself useful if WC ever crashes. I also agree with blick that Randall is not losing any marbles! However, I am noticing several little glass balls around our house... cmu:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
This mystery routine might affect the program if it can't do whatever it does.   Maybe time to track down the little thing, remove it and then test to see if the app continues to function.   I get the thing if I reboot my comptuer or it has been sleeping for a while.    Probably a good time to remove the wart before it causes trouble later (says the guy who can't code.)
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear Blick, X-Air, Weatheraardvark, and WeatherCat faithful,

Yes indeed it is something of a surprise!

This mystery routine might affect the program if it can't do whatever it does.   
. . . . 

The caution is appropriate, but I'm reasonably confident that this bit of code is never run anywhere except on one of Stu's development or testing Macs.  There is a direct path with Stu's name in it.  The long file path is quoted in all its complexity in my reply to Jenna.  I'm too chicken (and pressed for time) to try running it on my Mac, but it will fail.  I just don't really want to find out how!  :o

acw342

• Gentle Breeze
    • ICODOWNB3
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue Weather Cat v1.2.4, intel i7 iMac, 2TB SSD/HDD, 48Gb RAM. Reporting to UK Met Office WoW program.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 08:08:42 PM »
Hello all, quite a time since I was last here. At that timeI was asked why was I running WC 1.2.4. The answer is that it provides me with everything I need, gauges and graphs and the capability to tell the world (in particular my grandkids in Ca.) through Underground and WoW, what my local weather was. No need for lots of bells and whistles that some of you probably find essential for your needs. However, that nice man Tim over at Apple has decided no more 32 bit on future Mac OS releases, meaning, of course, that I will have to fork out for WC 3, which, of course, has led me here to ask the question posed by Jenna in relation to the "mystery routine"  found by Go64. Will the current iteration of WC 3 be bothered, do we know? Or will there be a minor update in the near future? No matter, whatever happens I'll still by purchasing the latest version. Many thanks as usual to all who keep things up and running for the rest of us.

a342

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Anybody tried WC on Catalina? (Re: Weathercat and 32 bit issues)
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 10:05:09 PM »
Dear acw342 and WeatherCat faithful,

. . . .
However, that nice man Tim over at Apple has decided no more 32 bit on future Mac OS releases, meaning, of course, that I will have to fork out for WC 3, which, of course, has led me here to ask the question posed by Jenna in relation to the "mystery routine"  found by Go64. Will the current iteration of WC 3 be bothered, do we know? Or will there be a minor update in the near future?
. . . .

Alas, the last time I checked in with Stu, he was still being run ragged by his day job.  Just to put the situation in context, this is the second year in a row that Stu hasn't ventured forth with this caravan for an August vacation.    So obviously, Stu has very little time for WeatherCat at the moment. 

So we are a bit on our own on this on.  Is anybody running the Catalina public beta?  Has anybody tried to run WeatherCat 3 on the beta?

Curious minds would like to know! 

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 12:56:07 AM »
WeatherCat is already 64bits, Apple has been running on 64 bit cpus for many years (basically anything with a Core 2 Duo cpu or higher, although some of those only booted into 32bits). There is no law that says you have to buy the newest machine that might will come with Catalina macOS 10.15 installed. Many places will have older, pre-Catalina operating systems installed and there will be re-furbished hardware available if you look around (OWC, B&H, etc.).
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system