Author Topic: Bring back External Data File Importer please  (Read 8282 times)

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Bring back External Data File Importer please
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »
Hi Stu,

What seems missing from WeatherCat so far - and we're getting close to V1.0 [tup] - is the ability to Import data files.

WLC had the ability to import .wlk files, which seems an important feature to me if you want to entice Windows-to-Mac switchers to start using WC?

But is had an additional benefit: I'm running both WeatherLink and WC, and whenever there was a 'glitch' causing LWC to miss some data I would simply Import the related .wlk file to fix.
This happened again last night: 4 hours of data is missing from WC (beta 3) for some reason causing a dip in the graphs (see attachment), but with WC there seems no way to correct this? The Data Viewer/Editor does allow editing, but not inserting data - which would be a time consuming process if done manually.

Is there another way to fix this?

Thanks,

Jos

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Bring back External Data File Importer please
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »
Hi Jos,
There's no importer for Weathercat at the moment - if there's demand for it then one will be added.

Did your clocks go forward today? If so, that'll be what you're seeing - there are some issues with the clocks going forward that I need to work on.

Thanks,
Stu.

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 11:19:18 AM »
Thanks for the quick response Stu.

Yes, we did switch to Daylight Saving Time last night and from 2AM to 4AM is exactly where the data is missing. But I had some other glitches as well earlier which had nothing to do with DST so still think this would be valuable.

Keen to know what other weather enthusiasts think.

Jos

P.S. Is there a way to run the LWC import feature to do the data conversion, quit LWC, and then run WC and allow it to pick up the LWC bit?  ::)

saratogaWX

• Strong Breeze
  • Weather website programming enthusiast
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
  • Station Details: Davis VP1 +, iMAC 21, OSX 10.6.8
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:48:17 PM »
Yes, please!

A .WLK import feature would be great.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub, WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 05:57:40 PM »
Keen to know what other weather enthusiasts think.

On my side (living in Austria, also changed to DST today morning) I can report that the "flat line" in the graphs appears between 02:00 and 04:00 in the morning.

Update: Sorry, posted this in a Topic that has to do with Importing Data. Hopefully it is recognised even though.  ;)
Reinhard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 11:52:40 PM »
P.S. Is there a way to run the LWC import feature to do the data conversion, quite LWC, and then run WC and allow it to pick up the LWC bit?  ::)

Should be doable in theory - the data version is the same but you'll have to change the file extensions, don't use the .hrs files, let WeatherCat generate new ones.

Cheers,
Stu.

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 10:48:13 PM »
Hmm... have been trying this but without success. The workaround of trying to get WL data via LWC2 into WC, is no good as LWC2 won't start because of the 'invalid rain bucket resolution' problem (even not after fresh installation on a brand new Mac Mini).

I have got more than 10 years worth of data in .WLK format so this is a bit of a showstopper for replacing Weatherlink completely.

Is the Import function something you maybe want to reconsider Stu?  :)

Not just for me; there must be lots of potential customers out there for you, for whom the ability to import old data will be important I would think...

Regards,

Jos

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 11:09:52 PM »
It's on the list Jos, just not a priority at the moment.

Here's a work-around that might work:
Rename your LWC preferences file (append _old), then boot LWC - you'll be at the comms setup screen. Select a station that isn't a Vantage, click through the 'Couldn't find the hardware' dialog so you are running with no hardware - you should then be able to run the importer.

Cheers,
Stu.

lakedog

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4001, DW4184, D9315
    • KGAGAINE13, KGASAUTE2, KGAGAINE24
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro(Phasing out, failing wind speed), Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 10:40:20 PM »
Dittos on the WeatherLink import. Important not to toss several years of history.

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 10:15:48 AM »
Sounds like a good idea to have, gives a degree of back-up if required and could be a deal clincher for somebody wanting to change from another weather program to WeatherCat.

Jc

weathernowcast

• Gentle Breeze
  • mac convert
    • C2862
    • KNJHAWTH1
    • weatherNOWcast
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 iMac: Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB 1600 MHz using WeatherCat... converting from a PC running VWS
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »
I really would like to import my EIGHT years of data into the weather cat database.  I am surprised this is not a standard feature yet.
Brian Lubbert, CCM

AMS

• Gentle Breeze
    • Doonan WeatherLink
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus (Fan Aspirated) with Solar & UV, Wireless Envoy with WeatherLinkIP, WeatherCat (iMac 27", 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, 3TB FusionDrive, 3TB TimeCapsule).
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 11:23:19 PM »
Hi. New forum member here and also new at WC. I am in process of moving across from PC to Mac and consider the ability to import data from PC based weather-link IP an absolute must have. I'm surprised this is not possible in WC. I would've thought it a necessity. I've been testing WC for past few days and it is my only gripe. Please please please can we have an importer?

monochrome

• Calm
    • IOBERSTE21
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 6163EU, USB Data Logger, Mac mini OSX 10.15.7, WC 3.1.3
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
hi!

also a new user here, who tortured himself too long with weather link.....
had no idea that there is such a great app like weather cat.

but: i have a lot of data files, since 2006, which i would like to import in weather cat.
so a data importer would make me happy! :)

regards,
chris

ELO

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOBRECK14
    • Weather in the Highlands
  • Station Details: Old Davis WMII, Heated Rain Collector, Mac Mini
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 04:08:26 PM »
+1

Just another WeatherLink refuge wondering how to save my data and get it into Weather Cat. Granted, the ability to import is probably a "one time use" feature for new WeatherCat users and it may not make sense to build it into WeatherCat.

However, what about an independent small translation utility that would operate on WL files to make them WC compatible? It wouldn't need to have a complex, elegant UI and users could manually move the output files to the right location. Stu, could something like this be done is a quick and dirty fashion? I gather from these forums that the basics of the code might already exist in the old LWC2.

ELO

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOBRECK14
    • Weather in the Highlands
  • Station Details: Old Davis WMII, Heated Rain Collector, Mac Mini
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 08:36:18 PM »
Well... I still would love to see a data importer for WeatherLink files. I tried using LWC2 as part of a conversion process only to have it crash with a instruction exception when I ran it on Mac OS 10.8.2 and identified a WeatherLink file. I've noticed that many folks talk about WeatherLink .WLK files; however, mine are old Mac WeatherLink files in a non human readable form with a .HOM extension. So that may be the source of the LWC2 crash and in the end a .wlk file converter/importer wouldn't help me.

All that being said, I have managed so far to get my WL data back to the first of 2013 into WeatherCat using an excel template I developed. Although it is still a multi-step process, converting a month's worth went relatively quickly once I had the template built. I'm certainly willing to share the process and template with anyone interested; however, keep in mind that I am working with old Davis Weather Monitor II data, which is less extensive than Davis Vantage or other stations, and my data logger was set for 30 archiving - 48 records per day or 1440 per 30 day month spaced at regular 30 minute intervals. That helped.

I'm now debating whether to tackle 2012 and whether to go back to the beginning of my data in 2005. That still would be a major time undertaking.

Rick