Author Topic: About the iOS App  (Read 104353 times)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Mobile Web Template
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 07:31:18 PM »
Steve,
Thanks for the mobile web template. I installed it and it works fine, although when I used Safari on my iPad, I got the full-size (not mobile) view. Is that what was supposed to happen?

Also, I have been using a Simple Web view. I set up the Custom Web view per your instructions, but didn't want to spend time writing custom web code. I direct viewers to the index.html in the weather_custom folder on my site. This has the mobile detection script. If they are mobile, then on to ipwx.html. If they are not mobile, they are directed to the Simple Web view in a different folder.

--grand

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Mobile Web Template
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 08:12:24 PM »
although when I used Safari on my iPad, I got the full-size (not mobile) view. Is that what was supposed to happen?

Not originally in Todd's LWC template, but when Edouard went through the device detection script, he helped me make it not detect the iPad, as we all liked how the full page looked on the iPad. I don't have the unedited version any more. As I noted to John, Edouard could probably figure out what would be needed for detecting the iPad. My solution was to add a mobile link on the full web page for anyone interested in a more compact version. The mobile version does not detect Android or Windows phones, either.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

pbeaudet

• Strong Breeze
    • WD6FGE
    • KCABURNE1
    • Burney Weather
  • Station Details: Dedicated Mac Mini 2014, 2.5GHz 8 GB DRAM 12.6.5, Davis Vantage Pro2, Solar, UV, Soil & Leaf, and the wireless Remote Anemometer / SHARX SCNC3905 Camera /Bloomsky 2 with Storm / PurpleAir Air Quality Sensor
Re: About the iOS App
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 06:10:29 PM »
I, too, want to thank the Poohbah for this nifty app. Thank you! [cheers1]

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 10:57:41 PM »
A question if I may. I eventually got around to connecting the app via the internet and Dyndns. All works brilliantly and in real time, unlike myself of course. If I remain connected 24 hours a day how much data am I downloading? In other words will it exceed my rather paltry amount of access I get with my contract?

Best wishes

Mike

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »
Mike,

About 4KB of data is downloaded every time it polls the server. It polls every 5 seconds. That comes to about 69MB received every 24 hours. Your iOS device would have to be "awake" during this entire time which is unlikely. The status display at the top of the weather data table gives the date, time, and successes/attempts. The "successes" are the number of times it downloaded data from the server. You can calculate the actual amount of data downloaded by multiplying this number by 4KB.

You will be able to adjust the polling interval in WeatherCat v1.1 which I am testing now. This will reduce the amount of data downloaded and show trends in the data better (the up/down arrows). I will post a notice to the Forum when 1.1 is available. It will be a automatic update for those who downloaded v1.0.

--grand

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 11:51:42 PM »
Thank you so much Great Poobahness, just what I needed. I have a monthly allocation of 1gb of data, so it might just be feasible, but I will have to look at my other downloads . Certainly looks really cool when it is working on my iPhone, data coming in and changing as I watch. brilliant job.

Best wishes

Mike

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 01:31:49 AM »
Mike,

The iOS Client is downloading a lot less data during the course of a day than you might imagine. It only downloads when the display is showing. It stops downloading when you press the Home button. It stops downloading when the screen goes black. It stops downloading when auto-lock starts. It resumes when it's display appears.

Grand

xtommo

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355 on iMac 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 06:44:19 PM »
any news on an update to the app? the ipwx iphone gui looks very simple and elegant so something along those lines would be great...

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
Great Poobah. Thanks for letting me know about the data acquisition. At the moment I am finding I can only access the app when in reach of either of my routers. It cannot access when I am roaming and connected by the phone at all. This is clearly not a problem of the app but one of my connections. Bottom line is that I am certainly downloading very little data quantity, so it shouldn't be a problem for my download allowance . Still nice picture of a moggie shows when I can't access so there is still benefits.

Best wishes

Mike

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 11:50:04 PM »
any news on an update to the app? the ipwx iphone gui looks very simple and elegant so something along those lines would be great...

There is an update coming out soon, but the user interface is still the same. The changes are in the settings. I will post a description when the update is ready at the App Store.

I like "simple and elegant" user interface changes too. Someday.

xtommo

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2012, 05:53:55 AM »
thanks for the update on the app... much appreciated

ianhw

• Calm
    • IRHOSCOL4
    • Outdoor Alternative
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage pro2, iMac 24". MacBookPro 15"" OS10.12.6
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 05:37:22 PM »

xtommo - you said

'to get it working over the internet you will need to Port Forward TCP 49250 to 49254 to your servers LAN IP and then enter your WAN IP into the iOS client.'

For a dullard like me can you give me bait of help how I might do the above.........http://athena.trixology.com/Smileys/default/sad.gif

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 06:39:42 PM »
Hi ianhw,
We have some details on the wiki:
http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/WeatherCat_Clients

(I always like it when I can get a wiki plug in - a reminder folks, if you have anything you can add to the wiki, please feel free to register and add what you've got  :) )

Hope this helps,
Stu.

xtommo

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 01:18:23 PM »
Hello
Sorry for the late reply but I'm on holidays at the moment in Japan. Awesome place. Anyways what kind of router do you have? There will be a port forwarding setting somewhere in there and you will need to forward the mentioned port range to the ip address that the router had provided for your Pc. If you haven't done it yet let me know your router model and I'll see if I can chase up some more exact instructions.

xtommo - you said

'to get it working over the internet you will need to Port Forward TCP 49250 to 49254 to your servers LAN IP and then enter your WAN IP into the iOS client.'

For a dullard like me can you give me bait of help how I might do the above.........http://athena.trixology.com/Smileys/default/sad.gif

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
The iOS Client Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 05:27:17 PM »
Callie
The iOS Client Cat
1994-2012