Author Topic: Who is Edouard in Nor Cal?  (Read 2697 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Who is Edouard in Nor Cal?
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:49:31 PM »
Howdy WeatherCat fans,

I suppose the first thing I should say about myself is . . . . *sigh*, I somehow find myself always busy!  >:(  So I'll be lazy and point you all to my MacWeather introduction if you want more details: http://www.macweather.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=198.

However, the key points are probably I'm the AppleScript guy for WeatherCat.  I've written over half a dozen AppleScript add-ons to LWC that have been ported over to WeatherCat.  Judging from what other folks say - they appear to be somewhat addictive!  [goofy]  Once you get them installed and working, it becomes increasingly hard to go without them.

I have a Davis Vantage Pro-2 station in Orinda, California which is 8 miles from U.C. Berkeley where I stubbornly stayed long enough to go from a B.A. to a Ph.D.  After dragging my feet for ages I even have a weather website: http://www.canebas.org/Weather/

I've had all sorts of interests from amateur astronomy to scuba diving . Like others around here I've been attracted to photography but an no more than a rank amateur.

The one thing that is likely to be mentioned from time to time is my current automobile "restoration" project.  Our family heirloom 1965 Buick Special Wagon is still limping along waiting for a new engine.  .  The car has been in the family since 1968 and has been my car on all sorts of remarkable adventures.  A "barn find" this car is not.  She has been on the road all of them 47 years!  Alas the car needs a new engine and back in May 2011 I ordered a "super-deluxe" 448 cid (7.3 liter) big-block Buick engine.  The car and I are still waitin' . . . . .

Hopefully that will be enough to either satisfy your curiosity, or to prompt you to click over to MacWeather for more info.

Thanks to everyone who has come over here and for supporting WeatherCat!!  [cat]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Who is Edouard in Nor Cal?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »
Welcome Edouard!  :)

Gman19

• Gentle Breeze
    • KD4TJG
    • KNCKERNE9
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2+, WeatherLinkIP, WeatherCat running on iMac Pro (2017),3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W,64 GB RAM
Re: Who is Edouard in Nor Cal?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 03:11:55 AM »
Ha!  Nice to run across another amateur astronomer!   [interesting]

Haven't had my 10" LX200 GPS out for some time...like you, I'm always busy!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Need my "astromobile back" (Re: Edouard in Nor Cal?)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »
Hi Gman19 and "starcrossed" WeatherCat fans,

Ha!  Nice to run across another amateur astronomer!   [interesting]

Haven't had my 10" LX200 GPS out for some time...like you, I'm always busy!

Hmm, another Meade fan - huh?

I have 2 Meade telescopes (sorta.)  I bought a 8" f/6 Meade reflector . . . . golly - around 1975 or so. (??)

I had a lot of fun with it, but the mount was too weak and lacked precision.  So what did I do?  I completely rebuilt the optical system with a custom Newton/Cassegrain convertible setup.  Everything was new and improved - except the mount.  Alas, by the time I did all this, I discovered scuba diving and amateur astronomy went on the back burner.  Still I did get out my super deluxe scope a few times.  It is the yellow telescope behind my trusty 65 Buick wagon in this picture:

The bigger scope is a 10" version of the Newton/Cassegrain convertible scope which the fellow in the photo had built and inspired me to start this long project.

I'm in the process of having the drive train upgraded in my trusty wagon . . . . another one of those long projects!!

With all this, I haven't mentioned the other scope.  I bought a smaller 6" Meade LXD-75 Schmidt Newton telescope in 2000.  However, it hasn't gotten much use - again because my trusty wagon isn't up to the task with her worn out engine.

So perhaps I'll be getting back into Astronomy next Spring - we'll see!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]