Ability to track Snow Depth

<< < (2/5) > >>

Blicj11:

--- Quote from: Felix on December 28, 2017, 10:10:51 AM ---Here you go, X-Air:

https://cocorahs.org/media/docs/measuringSnow2.1.pdf

--- End quote ---

That is exactly how I do it.

xairbusdriver:
Thanks for the link! As I said, it's rather complicated and it's prone to lots of human erer! Plus, this method is completely manual, absolutely no kind of "automation".

Of course, the human error part is mitigated with important tips like: "Before it snows, put your snow measuring board outside." It's probably very frustrating to also forget where that board is! "Oops! Can I still measure the snow on the board with my size 13 foot print?"

Personally, I prefer our local method of simply firing any weather person who allows:
* more than two inches for one event
* more than 2 days of ground coverage
I'm sure most of those who enjoy snow and weather data collection don't mind doing the work required to do the measuring. For folks who only get problems from occasional snow, I doubt many will do this for free. [blush]

As I understand the process described, you are not really asking for an automatic/mechanical/electronic device as much as a place to enter the data in WC. Of course, WC would need to make use of the data. That is a somewhat easier task, after all, "programming is simply typing"! cmu:-)

Felix:
Ref: Forgetting the location of the snowboard

See slides 7 & 8 ... snow flags or reflectors prevent forgetting unless you?re in Blick country where the snow depth sometimes covers and/or drifts over the flags. Mine are 48 inches tall and luckily I haven?t seen a snowfall that deep.

wurzelmac:
My two cents, or maybe three...

I am measuring the new fallen snow now since a while and I accumulate the fallen snow yearly (seasonly). Till now I was not interested in measuring snow coverage, but as Meteotemplate offers this as an option I began to do so since yesterday (major snowfall) and try to continue the rest of the season. The quality goal is to be exact in new/fresh fallen snow, not in the depth of coverage. This is only interesting for me if the was a closed snow surface or not. To get really exact measurements of snow depth there is no way to go around such a toy like this:
http://www.sommer.at/en/products/snow-ice/snow-depth-sensor-ush-8
I think I am going to ask them if I should sell my Ferrari for it or only the Fiat.  lol(1)

mcrossley:
If you have the ability to DIY electronics, then there are plenty of threads on the wx forum about hacking laser (and ultrasonic) "tape" measures into snow depth measuring devices. They provide an automated method that is easier on the pocket - if not the brain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version