Author Topic: Troubleshooting resources for Davis weather stations  (Read 27524 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sounds like a plan. (Was: Troubleshooting)
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 11:37:24 PM »
Dear Bill, X-Air, Mark, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I tried cleaning the contacts at the ISS and then took the whole weather shield apart and looked at the T/H board and cleaned out what I could.
Still no joy

. . . .

I've ordered a new sensor as it's supposed to be an upgrade anyway, and I'll wait for that to come and then do the replace and see if I can clean the old one more and get it going as a spare.

Sorry to hear that a simple cleaning didn't solve your problems, but glad that Scaled Instruments came to the rescue for your as well.  Ryan was very helpful when my own weather station went through some very mysterious troubles a few years back.  You can really count on him.  Waiting for the new sensor and then investigating the old is probably the best strategy at this point.

Cheers, Edouard

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
Re: Troubleshooting resources for Davis weather stations
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 01:39:11 PM »
Hi all-
Got my new Hum/Temp sensor from Scaled on Friday and installed it Saturday morning. Readings were very good on the weekend, and then today it is raining and I've got 96% or so Hum - yay!
Ryan was very good to deal with, the service was quick and efficient - and the new H/T sensor not that hard to install...
Glad my little system is now working well again!

Bill

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 03:05:11 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together. Also, I like your rainbow photograph in your banner.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear Bill, Blick, and WeatherCat Station caregivers,

Glad to hear that your station is working once more as it should!

Did you get any information from the folks on the WXForum about why your temperature/humidity probe is failing more rapidly than the norm?

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 11:02:28 PM »
Good to hear of your success! May you enjoy even more this year!!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 06:57:36 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the nod to the rainbow - I got a nice image of a full double rainbow a while back and thought it would make a neat background for the banner.
I did get some tips or hints from the WX folks - mainly that a Davis user in Florida on the coast near my parents (near Vero Beach) also has had to replace his H/T sensor a few times. The only thing we can figure is where we are right on the coast (as in my place overlooks the Gulf of Maine/Bay of Fundy), the sea spray/salt/constant fog and what have you may do a number on the sensor more quickly than some places.
Looking at the old unit I don't see a lot wrong - there is some green stuff (mould?) on the white plastic of the dome that covers the sensor, but I can't see anything on the actual screens. I suppose a good experiment might be to take the screen dome right off and re-install the H/T and see what that does (I assume the purpose is to keep the sensor from gunking up directly), and I can also clean the screens as one person here described and try re-installing.
I'm thinking, though, that since the new unit seems to be working great, I'll leave well enough alone, but have the old unit for a spare should another issue arise. I think I will clean the dome and screens and then it'll be good and dry in three years...LOL

Cheers,
Bill

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Sounds like a plan (Was: Troubleshooting resources)
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 10:45:16 PM »
Dear Bill and WeatherCat station caregivers,

I did get some tips or hints from the WX folks - mainly that a Davis user in Florida on the coast near my parents (near Vero Beach) also has had to replace his H/T sensor a few times. The only thing we can figure is where we are right on the coast (as in my place overlooks the Gulf of Maine/Bay of Fundy), the sea spray/salt/constant fog and what have you may do a number on the sensor more quickly than some places.

That's a plausible explanation since nothing else has been observed.

I'm thinking, though, that since the new unit seems to be working great, I'll leave well enough alone, but have the old unit for a spare should another issue arise. I think I will clean the dome and screens and then it'll be good and dry in three years...LOL

Sounds like a plan!

Cheers, Edouard