Author Topic: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-10-27  (Read 8097 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-10-27
« on: October 27, 2013, 06:06:30 PM »
Dear WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

I have completed the fixes to WC Status Growler so that my collection of AppleScripts now run on every version of OS-X that WeatherCat runs on.  Here is a link to the latest collection of files:

http://www.canebas.org/WeatherCat/AppleScripts/WeatherCat%20Scripts%202013-10-27.zip

Since it has been so long since these AppleScripts have been released, here is the description from the WeatherCat Wiki:

• WC ET Reporter - An AppleScript tool for computing and reporting Evapotranspiration data from WeatherCat. This AppleScript can compute evapotranspiration using the Blaney-Criddle equation. Owners of Davis Vantage Pro-2 stations fitted with a solar radiation sensor can also use the script to compile data using the more accurate Penman-Monteith equation. Data can be displayed via Growl or email.
  • WC Status Growler - An AppleScript tool for reporting the status of various WeatherCat subsystems via Growl.
  • WC Storm Monitor - An AppleScript tool for generating wind, rainfall, and barometric pressure change alerts from WeatherCat. Alerts can be displayed via Growl or email.
  • WC temperature rising and WC temperature falling - Two AppleScripts to create Growl notifications from WeatherCat temperature alerts.
  • WC Twitter Uploader - An AppleScript extension to WeatherCat to upload data to Twitter.
  • WC Web Data Uploader - An AppleScript extension to WeatherCat to upload data to several weather upload Websites. This AppleScript is deprecated since WeatherCat provides superior facilities to upload data to all the services supported by this AppleScript.  However, it is still included as it could be a useful starting point for a custom upload script to some other service.
  • WC Zambretti Forecaster - An AppleScript to generate forecasts from WeatherCat current conditions. It uses the methodology developed by Negretti and Zambra in their mechanical "slide rule" forecast calculator of 1915.
  • WC AppleScript Tags Processor - An AppleScript that processes pseudo web-tags of the same sort as used by WeatherCat. This AppleScript allows one to incorporate data from many of the AppleScripts in this collection into web pages generated by WeatherCat such as cumulative evapotranspiration data and Zambretti forecasts.
  • Start WeatherCat Scripts - An AppleScript that can be used to start some or all of the AppleScripts above that run continuously. Can be used with WeatherCat's startup action feature to launch all the desired AppleScripts automatically.
  • Stop WeatherCat Scripts - An AppleScript to shutdown some or all of the AppleScripts above that run continuously. Can be used with WeatherCat's shutdown action feature to stop all the desired AppleScripts automatically when WeatherCat quits.

The release notes are as follows:

• Modified WC Status Growler to correctly extract the amount of free memory on OS-10.9 (Mavericks).
  • Added an updated version of the J A Computing Twitter library to WC Twitter Uploader to support the latest Twitter upload API.
  • Deprecated WC Data Uploader since all of it capabilities are now built into WeatherCat.
  • Modified Start WeatherCat Scripts and Stop WeatherCat Scripts to no longer launch WC Data Uploader.

Enjoy!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Anyone had problems downloading this? (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-10-27)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 09:55:02 PM »
Dear WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Randall had trouble trying to download the AppleScript package of October 27, 2013.  He is running Mavericks and reports that Mavericks claims that the AppleScript applications are damaged.  Has anybody else had this sort of experience?  I just downloaded the package and it decompresses just as it always had.  I wonder if Apple has done something to AppleScript applications under Mavericks.  A quick web search doesn't reveal anything, however . . . . . . .  :o

Any help on this one would be appreciated!  [tup]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-10-27
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:37:30 AM »
Hi Edouard
 I didn't have any problems downing it just when I tried to run it It would say its damaged I done a erase of the hard drive and installed Lion and everything is working like it should but I'm using the old version for now Hey Steve did you have to up grade Growl to the latest version in Maverick or are you still running growl 1.2.2 or what what version?
Will try again when I have a little more time to reinstall Maverick and your new scripts Edouard there is probably nothing with it it probably just me

thanks

cheers

[cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:41:36 AM »
Randall,

I switched to Growl 2.X last year, and am on 2.1.3 now. So I don't know if there are problems with the old Growl and Mavericks.

I did just the Mavericks upgrade rather than a clean install, and only swapped to the new WC Status Growler file, so I made very few changes. Everything is running swimmingly for me.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Keep me posted (Re: WeatherCat Scripts)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »
Hi Randall, Steve, and WeatherCat fans,

Thanks for the updates everybody!  [tup]

Will try again when I have a little more time to reinstall Maverick and your new scripts Edouard there is probably nothing with it it probably just me

Well, it could be a quirk on your computer.  I'm suffering from some of those myself.  However, do keep me posted.  Since I'm in stuck at Snow Leopard for a while, I'm flying blind with respect to the later versions of OS-X.  So all I can do is depend on you guys!

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 01:33:03 AM »
Hi Edouard you do need to up grade to the latest Growl App 2.1.3 for maverick and since I can't use my PPC apps now I did a clean install of Lion to get thing s going and will get ready to try Mavericks again very soon

thanks

cheers
 [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 01:00:41 PM »
Hi Edouard
 Updated to Mavericks with your information on how to edit the WC Growl Script all is running and working great here

thanks

cheers

[cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 02:52:53 AM »
Hi WeatherCat gang

Ok if after open a zip file and you try to run the app and it tell you it is corrupt and to move it the trash click cancel then hold down the option button and click on the app again and see if it then works thats what i had to do after up grading to Mavericks along story but maybe the answer

cheers

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear WeatherCat scripting enthusiasts,

Ok if after open a zip file and you try to run the app and it tell you it is corrupt and to move it the trash click cancel then hold down the option button and click on the app again and see if it then works thats what i had to do after up grading to Mavericks along story but maybe the answer

Hmm, that sure looks like Apple is requiring a developer signature even on AppleScript applications.  Okay, I'll check into this but it could be a problem because of my being stuck at Snow Leopard.

Oh well, . . . . . . . 

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 01:43:42 AM »
Hi Edouard
 Apple will be very soon to require all apps have a signature is what I was told when I talk to them about my problem I was having but  would not go in to details since your scripts was not part of the support its all about there new security on the web

cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Definitely not cool of Apple. (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-10-27)
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 10:02:02 PM »
Hi Randall and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Apple will be very soon to require all apps have a signature is what I was told when I talk to them about my problem I was having but would not go in to details since your scripts was not part of the support its all about there new security on the web

I just did some quick checking and the only way anyone can create a signature for software is if you enroll in the paid version of the Apple Developers program.  It's a "bargain" for $99 a year.

I suspect that I cannot do this anyway because of my Snow Leopard miseries, but even when I can get to the current version of OS-X, this is a bitter pill to swallow.  Anyone who is developing software for profit, perhaps $100 isn't an unreasonable fee to ask.  However, if you want to help people for free - being charged $100 for the attempt to be generous seems like a outrage.

Apple sure has forgotten its roots as the computer platform for the masses.  I remember attending BMUG (Berkeley Macintosh User Group) meetings in the largest lecture hall on the U.C. Berkeley campus and the grass roots enthusiasm people had for the Mac.  Now BMUG is dead and Apple has gone Microsoft if it isn't IBM.  Never thought I would see the day . . . . . .

*Heavy Sigh*, . . . . . . .

Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 10:59:55 PM »
Hi Edouard
 I'm already not to happy about all the security stuff in Mavericks I hate to see what next maverick has some things I like but I was pretty happy with snow leopard I lost a lot of programs by up grading I did back up everything just in case I want to go back at least I can still run most of them on my laptop it is PPC and looking at a used Macbook to run Snow Leopard on

Just have to what Apple holds for the future

cheers
 [cheers1]

Commodore

• Gentle Breeze
    • Commodore Mark
  • Station Details: 27" iMac and a Mac mini but no weather station yet.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 05:54:49 AM »
Alas, I don't have a weather station...but I'm going to have one real soon now.  :-(

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 12:49:56 PM »
Hi Mark
 Thanks yes that shed some light on some of my problems

cheers

[cheers1]