Author Topic: Has anyone upgraded to El Capitan 10.11?  (Read 10552 times)

awilltx

Has anyone upgraded to El Capitan 10.11?
« on: October 01, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »
Just wondering about issues (you know what I mean), etc.

Alan

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Has anyone upgraded to El Capitan 10.11?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 12:12:38 PM »
Waiting for user experiences, too.

:-\

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »
WeatherCat has been running on El Capitan since this morning, nine hours ago now. I haven't noticed any issues. However, I did receive an email an hour ago saying 'WeatherCat watchdog: WeatherCat appears to have hung; rebooting as a precautionary measure.' All appears to be well now.

ALAN.

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 11:20:45 PM »
I upgraded to El Capitan this morning and had the same font issue with a subsequent crash noted in the following thread and the attached files:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1838.0

Restarted a couple times with the same problem (nothing but standard Apple fonts on the computer). Finally logged out and back in as a new user, downloaded a fresh copy of WC and it initialized with no problems.

So now when I have some time to fiddle with things, I guess I'll eradicate every WC file, restart yet again and start over. Then add back in the important archive data files and see when/if the initialization process stalls.

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 07:39:28 AM »
I spoke too soon. When I got up this morning, WeatherCat had crashed in the early hours, and hadn't re-started. This is the first time this has happened since I started using WC in early July. Usually, the program re-starts itself.

No idea what caused the crash. Is there anyway I can find out in case there is a problem?

ALAN.

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »
Hi Alan
 check your console for crash reports or other WC Reports

cheers

[cheers1]

awilltx

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 01:45:49 PM »
Sounds like this topic needs to be moved to the Bugs forum?

I have a sandboxed partition on an external drive that I might play around with upgrading, but maybe I will wait and see.

Alan

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 02:53:02 PM »
Another crash and failed re-start at 12:59 today.

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »
Was exchanging e-mails a little while ago with an online friend from another forum and he was telling me he had no problems on a new Mac mini which was delivered with Yosemite and subsequently upgraded to El Capitan. I'm wondering if those of us with issues are running WeatherCat on older machines which have gone through several upgrade years without a clean install? Maybe some residual code from years past is causing these crashes during the initialization process?

Hopefully Stu is monitoring the El Capitan threads and we'll hear something from him rather soon. Silence is not comforting.

This weekend, I'm going to wipe my old Mac mini drive and do a clean El Capitan install. If that doesn't work, I'll wind the clock back to the last Yosemite backup before the El Capitan upgrade.

PITA, hazards of being an early adopter I guess. Odd though that WeatherCat is absolutely the only problem I've experienced despite upgrading five computers in the house...two minis and three laptops.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 04:41:26 PM »
Another crash and failed re-start at 12:59 today.

Hi Alan,
Can you grab the crash report and post it in a new thread in the bugs forum please?

For details of grabbing the crash report, see:
http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Console_application

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 04:44:24 PM »
Was exchanging e-mails a little while ago with an online friend from another forum and he was telling me he had no problems on a new Mac mini which was delivered with Yosemite and subsequently upgraded to El Capitan. I'm wondering if those of us with issues are running WeatherCat on older machines which have gone through several upgrade years without a clean install? Maybe some residual code from years past is causing these crashes during the initialization process?

Hopefully Stu is monitoring the El Capitan threads and we'll hear something from him rather soon. Silence is not comforting.

This weekend, I'm going to wipe my old Mac mini drive and do a clean El Capitan install. If that doesn't work, I'll wind the clock back to the last Yosemite backup before the El Capitan upgrade.

PITA, hazards of being an early adopter I guess. Odd though that WeatherCat is absolutely the only problem I've experienced despite upgrading five computers in the house...two minis and three laptops.

It's possible the OS upgrade has left some old cache or something not updated in the user directory - sadly I am not able to reproduce this issue here so can't debug it - all I can do is send the reports to Apple. You could try removing the ~/Library/Cache directory to check if it is something cached that should have been deleted on the upgrade (have a backup handy just in case).

[Edit: Actually, don't do that - see http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1852.0]

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 04:59:17 PM »
I did look in Console, but there is no crash reported since El Capitan was installed. There was some mention of FTP errors and the system being overworked due to too many uploads. I forget what the exact wording was, but I have slowed down the strain on FTP by increasing the time between uploads.

Also, there was some reference to 'team viewer' which I uninstalled some months ago. Maybe there was something still running on my system since I uninstalled teamviewer.

I have since re-booted the machine to see if that solves the problem.

ALAN.

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 06:28:16 AM »
I had a strange occurrence last night. WC re-booted just before midnight as a precaution because it thought it had hung. When WC was running again, all my custom gauge windows were open, as was the banner generation window. As a result, none of the gauges were being created, therefore not appearing on my website.

No major problem, but I hadn't seen this before. All is now well.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 08:58:29 AM »
Check in the console log around that time - there may be a message/messages logged from WeatherCat (Applications->Utilities->Console.app).

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 02:48:42 PM »
Is there anybody out here who can report positive experiences with upgrading to El Capitan?

Or shall I be the first one...  ::)

:-\
Reinhard
Reinhard