Author Topic: WeatherCat version 3.0.4 Now Available  (Read 11456 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: WeatherCat version 3.0.4 Now Available
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 12:05:53 AM »
You are correct, Blick. However, I tried using the "search" function in Preview with less than stellar results (see image below). I also may not have the latest version of the Manual, mine claims it was created 3/15/18 and modified a couple of weeks later. I obviously do not have the latest "Client" since mine is the older 32-bit 1.6.1. The window appears to be the one that comes up automatically when WC is started; the one that cannot be closed except with the File->Close [command-W] menu. [computer]

I also find it a bit puzzling that the headline for this entry refers to programs. Was "Sylvester" once considered as part of a group of "clients" before being folded into the main WC app?

At any rate, it's great to have that question answered as it has been asked in another topic, I think.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 12:48:39 AM »
Hi John and Blicj and WeatherCatters
 It only came up once for me that was right after I update to High Sierra 10.13.6 but have not seen that notification since.

cheers

JohnDoe1983

• Gentle Breeze
    • iquebecq10
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue, WMW200A, WMR86A
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 03:56:02 PM »
Here is a image of my Application folder in the information system:

Lots fo WC in it.  What should I do ?

Oui=  yes     Non=  no

Thanks for your help

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 08:16:13 PM »
First thing I'd suggest is to delete the duplicates. You can use Get Info to see what the versions numbers are.

Now, make compressed versions of the newest version of each app. Select one of the labels and use the Finder->File->Compress menu item. You should now have a compressed version of that item with ".zip" added to the end of the label. However, since you have extensions hidden, I'm not sure you will see that. It might be helpful to show them to keep straight which file is what. Finder Prefs->Advanced->Show all filename extensions.

Now, select the compressed file and press the Return key. That should select the entire name of the file except for the extension. Use the right arrow key and you'll have a cursor sitting just to the left of ".zip". You can now add the version number you previously determined through Get Info. Again, you don't need duplicates of any of these files.

I usually compress the last version of any app just before I install the newest version.

Another suggestion is more like 'housekeeping'. Folders are free! Create some for the ancillary files that might come with any app (if it doesn't already have them). You could use a new folder labeled "Zipped Apps" and put those compressed apps in there. That way you won't see (at least) duplicately named items in a Finder window.

Lots fo WC in it.  What should I do ?
Oui=  yes     Non=  no
OK, I think you are showing us the Option-Apple->System Information... window, after you select Applications in the Software section. That display has a column labeled "64-Bit (Intel)" [in English]. That column's data is either "Yes/Oui" or "No/Non". There is not much to actually do in that window, it doesn't allow any input from the user as far as I know. It is simply letting you see the version number and other information about all your installed applications. If you are running a 64-Bit computer, you can see if you have 32-bit apps that have been replaced by 64-bit ones. There is not much use in leaving the 32-bit apps on your main, boot drive. I would compress them and move them to an external drive used for backups. Then, delete them from your internal, boot drive.

Hope that answers your concerns! :)

JohnDoe1983

• Gentle Breeze
    • iquebecq10
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 08:32:13 PM »
Thanks for your answer xairbusdriver.

Since I usually speak french but understand english pretty much, I will take my time and do what you have suggested me.  Something new for me to learn.

I am used to folders since I spent 20 years in Windows from Ver 1 to 10.  (no regret to be in Mac world now)

Thanks again, highly appreciated.

John

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 08:47:59 PM »
I can't even read French and the words I know are probably just confusing to anyone speaking the language! My wife and I will be in France late next year. I had better get busy learning at least how to read some French signage! We visited Paris at least 25 years ago and I was very impressed with the friendliness of everyone. ThU5:-)

Of course, I am assuming that you live in France, but you may very well live in some of her neighboring countries! I made several trips to Brussels before I retired.

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 03:24:05 AM »

John

You Should only have the fastest Version in your app folder: version 3.0.4

cheers

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 04:57:10 AM »
Randall meant to type you should only have the latest (or most recent) version of WeatherCat in your folder. Always move the older versions somewhere else, or compress them as XAir stated. If you store all those executable versions in one folder, macOS can get confused about which one you want to run or which one is linked to the icon in your Dock.
Blick

JohnDoe1983

• Gentle Breeze
    • iquebecq10
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 03:45:49 PM »
Thank you all for your help. I will hide every old apps for sure.

xairbusdriver:  I live in Qu?bec city Canada.  Hope you have a nice trip in France. Nice country.

Cheers

John

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 06:12:55 PM »
As I said, a "neighboring" country! [lol] Also full of very friendly folks! ThU5:-)

JohnDoe1983

• Gentle Breeze
    • iquebecq10
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 12:22:46 AM »
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherCat goes 26 days straight. (Re: WeatherCat version 3.0.4)
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2019, 11:14:59 PM »
Dear WeatherCat faithful,

I have an auxillary hard drive that I use to store videos.  When I upgraded to my new 2018 Mac Mini I started having problems with this drive being spontaneously disconnected.  I sent it back under warranty and received a new power supply which appeared to solve the problem.  However, about 2 days ago the problem returned.  I decided to reboot my computer to see if that might solve the issue.

Alas, that required ending my endurance run for WeatherCat.  Here is the status window showing how far WeatherCat got:

As you can see, WeatherCat managed to get over 26 days running continuously.  Alas, my AppleScripts remain down for the count.  However, I was able to get WeatherCat's memory use from Activity Monitor:

As you can see, even after 26 days WeatherCat was using a misery 700+ MB of RAM.  Sadly, macOS wasn't being so efficient.  As you can see I had about 20 GB in use.  However, 30 GB was "unavailable" for use out of the 64 GB of RAM on the machine.  Even with completely new hardware and the latest version of macOS - a substantial memory leak continues.

Only time will tell if my problem with my auxillary drive will be solved by rebooting.  If so that suggests that we may need to reboot more frequently than memory needs along would require.

We shall see . . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
Re: WeatherCat goes 26 days straight. (Re: WeatherCat version 3.0.4)
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2019, 12:15:03 PM »
Dear WeatherCat faithful,

I have an auxillary hard drive that I use to store videos.  When I upgraded to my new 2018 Mac Mini I started having problems with this drive being spontaneously disconnected.  I sent it back under warranty and received a new power supply which appeared to solve the problem.  However, about 2 days ago the problem returned.  I decided to reboot my computer to see if that might solve the issue.

Alas, that required ending my endurance run for WeatherCat.  Here is the status window showing how far WeatherCat got:

As you can see, WeatherCat managed to get over 26 days running continuously.  Alas, my AppleScripts remain down for the count.  However, I was able to get WeatherCat's memory use from Activity Monitor:

As you can see, even after 26 days WeatherCat was using a misery 700+ MB of RAM.  Sadly, macOS wasn't being so efficient.  As you can see I had about 20 GB in use.  However, 30 GB was "unavailable" for use out of the 64 GB of RAM on the machine.  Even with completely new hardware and the latest version of macOS - a substantial memory leak continues.

Only time will tell if my problem with my auxillary drive will be solved by rebooting.  If so that suggests that we may need to reboot more frequently than memory needs along would require.

We shall see . . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WOW! Here is mine for a measly three days running....FWIW.

Jenna

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2019, 09:25:55 PM »
Hey Edouard! I see that you are a fellow SpamSiever. I have been using that for years and its accuracy at spam filtering is phenomenal.
Blick

pbeaudet

• Strong Breeze
    • WD6FGE
    • KCABURNE1
    • Burney Weather
  • Station Details: Dedicated Mac Mini 2014, 2.5GHz 8 GB DRAM 12.6.5, Davis Vantage Pro2, Solar, UV, Soil & Leaf, and the wireless Remote Anemometer / SHARX SCNC3905 Camera /Bloomsky 2 with Storm / PurpleAir Air Quality Sensor
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2019, 06:59:07 PM »
I use Spamsieve as well. Works great!