Author Topic: I may be slow, but I'm not very fast... doh!  (Read 3492 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
I may be slow, but I'm not very fast... doh!
« on: April 27, 2015, 11:53:52 PM »
UPDATED: This post refers to a site using a template. My current site is 90% hand-coded. The link below is valid but you won't see anything discussed in my comments there. [rolleyes2]

A while back, I was 'playing' with the Steel template and wanted to make the the timer text display a little wider. Now that I'm working on the Leuven template, I looked for the same 'fix'. I told you, I'm stubborn! "Blockheaded" is more the term SWMBO uses... [blush]

I searched for a couple of hours before thinking that the Leuven template actually uses parts of the Steel template. I should have realized how familiar those gauges looked! [banghead] That finally allowed me to start searching for a slightly different term, in the /weather2/gauges/scripts/wsGauges.js, which I think is similar to the file I edited in the Steel template. At any rate, I now have a wider 'canvas' displayed with the count down timer showing both digits of the number! [cheer]

I also edited line 40 in weather2/gauges/gauges.php in the above process, but the following had no affect, at least in what was being displayed
original line 40:    <canvas id="canvas_timer" width="50" height="25"></canvas>
my non-working edit: <canvas id="canvas_timer" width="100" height="25"></canvas>
I guess my question is when does that code actually affect the width of the count down timer? With enough testing, I can probably find out, but I'm after a bigger 'fish' right now. ;D

It's still a work-in-progress! I'm now going to concentrate on getting the local 'thunder' and 'rain' maps to display instead of the Europe and NW US maps. Line 41 of weather2/wsSettings.php still has:
$SITE['region']       = 'america';    // #####
I think that is the default value in the latest download (2.6g). However, that is obviously being modified somewhere else.

TEMPORARY SITE: <mid-southweather.com>

Other current problems:
Clicking the "LED" when the refresh limits have been reached doesn't work. This may be the $SITE['autoRefresh'] value. OTOH, the countdown timer seems to be refreshing the data, if not the whole page.
UV info appears: my settings in wsSettingsWeather.php:
$SITE['UV']          = false;     // ##### set to false if no UV sensor
$SITE['SOLAR']       = false;     // ##### set to false if no Solar sensor

Later...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: I may be slow, but I'm not very fast... doh!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 03:46:24 PM »
Dumb problem I should have found earlier: "Test ... Locally" produces/opens only two apps, but not any browser.
I get a single TextEdit window (realtimeTags.txt) and one for BBEdit (list available on request). I can see newly created files in the "processedFiles" folder. However, other than the realtimeTags.txt and graphs.htx, 99.99% are image (jpeg) files. The remaining 0.01% is the yowindow.xml file.

From reading other posts and the WC User Manual, I was expecting to see a browser open, as well as any apps that might usually open the files in this folder. Should there not be at least one html file or a php file to create one? None of the above mentioned files would be opened by a browser, routinely, anyway. While "Testing ... Locally" doesn't seem to work, the actual, TEMPORARY site operates "normally" as far as I can tell.

I suspect I have 'garbaged up' the folders/files in ~/Library/Application Support. I have five folders in there:
    WCWeb (5 html / 11 jpeg, all creation dates several days ago)
    WeatherCatCustomWeb (what seems to used used on my TEMPORARY Wx site-in-progress)
    WeatherCatCustomWeb-removed files (what was in there when I was testing Steel templates)
    WeatherCatMedia (and empty Pictures folder)
    WeatherCatTemp (...Daily.plist and ...WundergroundUpload.plist)
Any suggestions? Like, "Find another site to ask your stupid questions" or "Give up, you obviously should never have sold your Apple ][!"... [banghead]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:48:09 PM »
At the end of a test run, it will ask the Finder to open the processed files in your output directory (as set in the custom web 'Set Save Path' button) with the applications that would normally open that file type. However, if will not ask the Finder to open individual graphics files or movies (otherwise you'd end up with many tens of preview windows). If there's no file there that would normally open in a browser, then the browser won't open.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 05:21:50 PM »
I'm aware of all that, really. ;) I was just surprised that there was no "normally open in a browser" file there. Maybe because I'm editing a different template than last week. Back then, I was seeing the normal batch of text and BBEdit windows, but also a browser window. That template had several html files, the one I'm now working with is almost exclusively PHP-based, so the actual html is really not created until those scripts are run at the server, if I understand things correctly.

I know you have an improved "Testing" system in the future improvements list. I also know your work is very detailed and amazingly bug-free! [cheer]

I may end up using your Tags and my own hand-coding, w/CSS to build my own weather site. I suspect that 'local testing' then will have plenty of html files. I've printed out the WC User Manual pages dealing with using those tags. My concern/question is probably simply my lack of experience with your great software. Thanks, again!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 02:30:48 AM »
Basic work is now complete on getting the Leuven template installed and working. Mostly details remaining. Plus some personalization. Couldn't have done it without some detailed help from the developer! Thanks, again! [cheer] [removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:40:13 PM by xairbusdriver »

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 11:25:57 PM »
I've been tinkering with the "Wind" output in my "Current Conditions" display. I finally went to [b]The[/b] Manual only to discover that I've been using a 10 minute average wind (CW$) rather than the 'instantaneous' value (STAT$WINDSPEED:CURRENT$) for at least a yeer! That'z too mizsteaks since I started using WC!! [banghead] I guess I'll just use both of them for a while, anyway. [rolleyes2]

I doubt it would have helped me if the word "average" had been in bold text, however. [blush] [banghead] [removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:39:59 PM by xairbusdriver »

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »
Seems like a good place to quote EDUOARD THE GREAT: It is at times like this a that man must search his soul . . . . .  before resigning himself to once more reading the instructions.
(See: http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=392.msg21351#msg21351)
Blick