Author Topic: WeatherUnderground Announcement  (Read 4563 times)

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
WeatherUnderground Announcement
« on: July 02, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »
Hi WeatherCat Fans
WU sold to The Weather Channel
Read More Here:Dr. Jeff Masters

clouds height=300

Dear Randall McElroy,
As an invaluable member of our Personal Weather Station (PWS) community, I wanted you to be the first to know that Weather Underground, Inc. has become part of The Weather Channel Companies (TWCC). Your weather station data will remain an integral part of our forecast modelling, and we expect that the combined forecast technologies of the two companies will enable us to provide even more accurate custom forecasts for your station. The service that we provide PWS owners on wunderground.com will remain unchanged for now, and will only be improved in the long term.
With the increased audience reach that our union with TWCC provides, we hope to considerably expand our PWS community to further enhance the quality of our weather forecasts. With extra resources at our disposal, we will also be able to provide a greater level of support for our community members.
As always, we thank you for being part of our PWS network, and greatly appreciate all of the data you share with us. You can read my latest blog post for more information about the sale of wunderground to TWCC.
Kind regards,
Dr. Jeff Masters
 Director of Meteorology

Logo height=27

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Ya' beat me!! (Re: WeatherUnderground Announcement)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:04:21 PM »
Hi Randall and WeatherCat fans,

Oops, I was rushing to spread the news and didn't check to see my unread postings.  You got their first. 

Sorry!!  :-[

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: WeatherUnderground Announcement
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »
Hi Edouard
 Just spreading the news like you
At least you didn't curse me like some one did on MacWeather when I posted in the wrong place but Barzi took care of that
all is good here I just wanted to be first  [biggrin]
not really i figured everyone that is  PWS member got that email also
 [cheers1]
Electric is back on after 75 hours without power but some still maybe out for another week

tigers

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:42:51 AM »
I for one am not happy about this AT ALL. I find TWC and weather.com to be slow and far too ad-laden. Time will tell I suppose, but I love wunderground as it is and hope it doesn't turn out as badly as I fear.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Electricity and other gripes (Re: Announcement)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:19:57 PM »
Hi Randall, Tigers, and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

Electric is back on after 75 hours without power but some still maybe out for another week

Wow!!

Sure hope you have a generator, but even so that ain't the same as good old reliable AC from the grid.  Hope you didn't lose anything because the power was off.

I for one am not happy about this AT ALL. I find TWC and weather.com to be slow and far too ad-laden. Time will tell I suppose, but I love wunderground as it is and hope it doesn't turn out as badly as I fear.

Ditto!!

I think Weather Underground started out with the same idealism that a lot of dot-com projects started with and clearly they had a good idea and some talented programmers to make it all happen.  However, it has been obvious for years that they weren't managing to pay the bills.  I fear that the Weather Channel got Weather Underground in something of a fire-sale and that doesn't bode well for the institution we all are comfortable with.

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »
Hi Edouard
 Yes I do have a generator keeps everything running except the AC its not big enough to run everything but was able to keep the frig and deep freeze going and the computer and the weather station running but it sure was hot without the AC hope to get a whole house backup 14K generator next year we are having some of the hottest temps since 1999. very dry
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
My sympathies on the heat . . . (Re: WeatherUnderground)
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 09:37:13 PM »
Howdy Randall and WeatherCat Midwest "roasters"  [sweat2]

Yes I do have a generator keeps everything running except the AC its not big enough to run everything but was able to keep the frig and deep freeze going and the computer and the weather station running but it sure was hot without the AC hope to get a whole house backup 14K generator next year we are having some of the hottest temps since 1999. very dry

So sorry that you were in the oven for so long.  :(

Really sad that you need to consider a completely redundant generator system, but that seems to be where we are these days.

Oh well, . . .