Author Topic: The difficulties with measuring time.  (Read 5592 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: The difficulties with measuring time.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 03:18:49 AM »
you just seem to know so much!
Two reasons. 1. ! married a very smart lady! 2. I'm older than you.
They say that age comes with wisdom, but sometimes it comes alone...
But, here's another link. Y'all come on up!
OK, you got me interested. How have you hidden said "link"? I've worn out two cursors running them all over your post trying to find a "link". Only one that seems available is "Report to moderator". nah... they've got bigger fish to fry... maybe if we caught some at the lake... then there are the Trout in the <White...> ok well...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Herb (Re: The difficulties with measuring time.)
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 10:54:23 PM »
Dear Herb and WeatherCat earth observers,

After watching this video, twice, it occurred to me that I had to post it here for others to enjoy. This is something that doesn't come up too often, but did anyone notice that we skipped a leap year, not too long ago. I believe it was during the year 2000.

Well I finally saw this video and I agree, the guy does a reasonably good job of explaining how the calendars got tweaked to bring us reasonably close to the earth's orbit around the sun.

Personally I didn't care too much for the actual motion of the earth in space portion.  It isn't like I now think of the earth as some kind of crazy roller-coaster.  If you understand the physics and in particular relativity, you realize that it simply doesn't matter precisely how the earth is moving for your life on earth.  I have a feeling these guys got a geeky thrill out tracing the motion, but all they really demonstrated was their ignorance. 

Cheers, Edouard

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: The difficulties with measuring time.
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 02:48:24 AM »
X-Air, look again. I don't know if I edited it before or after your post. All I know is, I only just saw your post despite having been to this site at least twice before now, today.

Have to agree with you Edouard. I saw that part of the video as rather pointless and a bit of tarnish to an otherwise great piece. OK, you didn't say great, but I did.

[lol2]
Herb