Author Topic: rain gauge not working  (Read 8861 times)

retired

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Imac 2.4 Ghz intel core 2 duo with 4 GB;OS X v 10.9 Maverick; La Crosse ws 2316
rain gauge not working
« on: June 16, 2013, 01:18:20 AM »
I have a La Crosse ws 2316, works great except last two rain storms I had no reading from the rain gauge. After reading some posts of insects in the instruments I found a tiny spider web in the 4 small holes from the water collector of the rain gauge. No more spider or web and gauge is reading now.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Gotta check your instruments. (Re: rain gauge not working)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 09:35:24 PM »
Dear Retired and WeatherCat fans,

Glad you were able to quickly find the problem and get your rain gauge working again. 

It is a good idea pick reasonable times of the year to do a station instruments checkup and try to catch this sort of problem before it effects your readings.  Here is a seasonal maintenance checklist on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Station_Maintenance

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

retired

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Imac 2.4 Ghz intel core 2 duo with 4 GB;OS X v 10.9 Maverick; La Crosse ws 2316
Re: rain gauge not working
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
After the cleaning to get rid of the spiders it worked for a couple of weeks and stopped again.

Found out why rain gauge is not working. A small pin that is a magnet is rusted out that swings back and forth with the rain cups over the circuit board. I ran a small magnet over circuit board and rain was registered.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »
Repairable do you think or new rain bucket time?

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 12:23:26 AM »
Thought I'd mention that I recently replaced the rain sensor on my VP2. Davis sent one out for free. Required soldering the wires to the circuit board. Had a friend who has soldered electronics before come out and do it for me. Rain gauge working like a charm again. Sure appreciated Davis cooperation on this - good troubleshooting and free part.
Alas, must confess I dragged my feet on making the repair - estimate I lost about 10" of rain data collection. Guess 2014 rainfall is going to come up real short. [rainyluck]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Came up about 10" too short also. (Re: rain gauge not working)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »
Dear LesCimes and WeatherCat rain watchers,

Alas, must confess I dragged my feet on making the repair - estimate I lost about 10" of rain data collection. Guess 2014 rainfall is going to come up real short. [rainyluck]

Bummer dude!

I know your feelings . . . . sort of.  I came up about 10" too short this winter also . . . . the trouble is the rain gauge was working fine!!

Sure hope this drought does end after this summer!!

Cheers, Edouard