Author Topic: Tutorial on using Prowl to push notifications from Growl to your iOS device.  (Read 6014 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

With the rising popularity of iOS devices, it seems natural to want your weather data to come to you and not be trapped on your Mac.  The WeatherCat Scripts have been generating Growl notifications for years.  For almost as long there has been an iOS client for Growl: Prowl.

I finally got around to running some experiments and sure enough you can forward any or all of the notifications from my AppleScripts to your iOS device.  Having figured all this out, I went ahead I wrote up a quick tutorial on the WeatherCat wiki:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/prowl-growl-client/id320876271?mt=8

You need to pay for Prowl and need the paid version of Growl to make all this work.  However, it is a relatively modest cost.  Once you make all the connections, you have a lot of control of what notifications get pushed to your iOS device.  Definitely, put a bit of effort into controlling what gets forwarded to your iOS devices, otherwise you'll get swamped with notifications!

Enjoy!  [bounce]

cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. I wrote it kind of quickly, so any typo spotting would be greatly appreciated!!  :-[

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Thanks Edouard, for all your effort on this. You are making it much easier for me to decide to Growl, Prowl and Script.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Hi Blick
 Just think of it as buy 2 get 1 free cause Edouard doesn't charge for his WC Scripts and to me they could be worth $4

cheers

[cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Cool  [tup]

Was there supposed to be a link to the wiki?

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Thanks Edouard. Good timing, too, as I'm headed to Seattle for a couple of weeks on Tuesday, and this will help me keep track of things.

Steve

Click HERE for the link to the wiki article.

[EDIT] Well, you know how I can break anything? I did it here, too. I get down to the point where I select Prowl from Growl's Actions pull-down, and Growl crashes. Every time. I tried it with other applications and by selecting other actions without change. Attached is a copy of the crash pop-up. Mac OSX 10.9.4, Growl  2.1.3

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks gang! (Re: Tutorial on using Prowl)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:01:51 PM »
Dear Blick, Randall, Stu, Steve, and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Thanks Edouard, for all your effort on this. You are making it much easier for me to decide to Growl, Prowl and Script.

Well, you finally nudged me to look into this.  My lifestyle really doesn't lend itself to using iOS devices much.  Your question finally perked my curiosity!

Just think of it as buy 2 get 1 free cause Edouard doesn't charge for his WC Scripts and to me they could be worth $4

Well, that's not my style, but alas, they are getting a little long in the tooth.  I sure could use a little time to start rewriting them.

I put a link at the bottom of the Integration page:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Integration

Since it is only helpful if you are running the AppleScripts, I thought it made sense to include it with the other AppleScript related tips.

[EDIT] Well, you know how I can break anything? I did it here, too. I get down to the point where I select Prowl from Growl's Actions pull-down, and Growl crashes. Every time. I tried it with other applications and by selecting other actions without change. Attached is a copy of the crash pop-up. Mac OSX 10.9.4, Growl  2.1.3

I just tried the only way I hadn't tried to set up a Prowl action from Growl and I'm not getting any errors.  Sorry, no help there.  Could you explain in a little more detail where this crash happens?

Also, you probably should sent the crash report directly to the development team that supports Growl.  If you click on the "About" tab of the Growl preferences there is a button to submit a bug report.  If you have a crash report, that should be of interest to them.  It is the sort of hard data they can really use as Stu does.

Glad, you'all liked it!   :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Thanks gang! (Re: Tutorial on using Prowl)
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:04:55 PM »

I put a link at the bottom of the Integration page:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Integration

Since it is only helpful if you are running the AppleScripts, I thought it made sense to include it with the other AppleScript related tips.

Aha, makes sense  :)