Author Topic: Patched version of WC Twitter Uploader  (Read 5163 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Patched version of WC Twitter Uploader
« on: July 10, 2013, 05:26:12 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Twitter fans,

Rejoice!  Jesse Almanrode has kept his promise to get me a patched version of the ASTwitterLibrary.  He emailed it to me last night and I installed the new library into WC Twitter Uploader.  I've run the script overnight and it is working as it used to.

Since it is patched version of ASTwitterLibrary, I've decided to make a patch release of WC Twitter Uploader as well.  You can download this AppleScript by itself at this URL:

http://www.canebas.org/WeatherCat/AppleScripts/WC%20Twitter%20Uploader%20(patch).zip

If you don't have the rest of the AppleScript Package you'll need to download that as well.  For more information, see the WeatherCat Wiki entry on the AppleScripts:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Integration

Those of you who have my AppleScripts already installed, just replace your copy of WC Twitter Uploader with this patched version, start it up, and you should be good to go.  Your preferences should be used as before.  I haven't changed the script at all.  The only change is the installation of the updated ASTwitterLibrary.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Patched version of WC Twitter Uploader
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
Thank you Edouard (and Jesse) for keeping after this!!!  [cheer] [bounce] I'm now back to posting current conditions every two hours on Twitter.

THanks!
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hurray! (Re: Patched version of WC Twitter Uploader)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:46:23 PM »
Dear Steve and WeatherCat fans,

Thank you Edouard (and Jesse) for keeping after this!!!  [cheer] [bounce] I'm now back to posting current conditions every two hours on Twitter.

Glad to hear it!  [tup]

Anyone else tried it?

faymondo

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:17:04 PM »
Excellent stuff so very much appreciated.

Hourly updates back live for @liverpoolweath

senorwx

• Gentle Breeze
    • KNHKEENE28
  • Station Details: Davis VantagePro2 - iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 6 GB Memory - OS X v 10.13.6
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 12:43:52 AM »
Edouard -
New to the AppleScript department with WC, but thanks for all the work you and others have done on it.

I'm attempting to use the Twitter Uploader. Have the prefs under control, tested it locally, connected to Twitter with authorization number, and Growl assures me it is uploading.

It's not showing up at Twitter!

Where do I find a log on the script? And more importantly, what am I missing. Twitter account is @Senorwx (San Pancho MX Weather Station).

Thanks!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 04:49:19 AM »
Hi senorwx,

I had the same thing happen when I first set up my Twitter posting. Turns out I was sending more than the allowed 140 characters. Count how many are in your test string. I fiddled with the string and am currently sending the following:

Temp: 64 F, Humidity: 82%, Baro: 30.03 in, Wind speed: 0.0 mph from the ENE, Gusts to 0.0 mph, Rain today: 0.0 in  avon-weather.com

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

senorwx

• Gentle Breeze
    • KNHKEENE28
  • Station Details: Davis VantagePro2 - iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 6 GB Memory - OS X v 10.13.6
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »
Steve -

Bingo! Mathematical truth: 155 characters > 140 characters.

Thanks so much. You'll find the provided string running at @senorwx  I plan to reduce the frequency to once an hour.

Is is possible to assemble additional tags? I'm here in the tropics on the west coast of MX and want to include the Heat Index.

Curt/Senorwx
 [sweat]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Alas, no time for AppleScripts (Re: WC Twitter Uploader)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 08:45:05 PM »
Hi Curt, Steve, and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Thanks Steve for helping out with the technical support!  [tup]

Is is possible to assemble additional tags? I'm here in the tropics on the west coast of MX and want to include the Heat Index.

Well, the heat index isn't accessible to the an AppleScript at this time, so this would require a change to WeatherCat itself.

Also, I'm really struggling with family health matters and this classic car restoration.  I really don't have the time for anything more than emergency patches to keep things running.

Sorry, I keep hoping things will improve and they never do . . . . .   [banghead]

senorwx

• Gentle Breeze
    • KNHKEENE28
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »
Edouard -

I'm sure things will improve for you personally. Meantime, nothing but thanks from this corner of world for your contributions to the WeatherCat fans!

Check out your script (hourly) at @Senorwx.

[cheer]

toadstone

• Gentle Breeze
    • Big Low Weather, Rainow.
  • Station Details: Station: None Intel i5 Hackintosh 16gb RAM Yosemite
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 09:58:06 AM »
I'm having problems too with the Twitter feed. I suspect because I didn't read all the instructions first [banghead]

On starting the Twitter script app, Growl tells me it started and then I get another window telling me the Tweet has been sent - successfully.  It hasn't however because I'd previously revoked the ASTwitrLibrary App on Twitter. Now I can't invoke the window that allows Twitter to use said Library and the also the pin window.

I have already run the Test script to ensure tweet is less than 140.  I've also binned the whole script library and started again but still no luck.  Any pointers???   I've trawled Twitter help.  OK for killing it but nowt on re-instating.

Pete.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Try clearing Twitter passwords? (Re: Patched version of WC Twitter Uploader)
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 10:14:08 PM »
Hi Pete and WeatherCat Twitter fans,

On starting the Twitter script app, Growl tells me it started and then I get another window telling me the Tweet has been sent - successfully.  It hasn't however because I'd previously revoked the ASTwitrLibrary App on Twitter. Now I can't invoke the window that allows Twitter to use said Library and the also the pin window.

I'm not sure about this, but I ran Keychain Access (in Utilities folder) and I see some Twitter passwords stored there on the keychain.  You might try deleting these entries.  That should force Twitter to generate new access codes.

Just in case that causes problems you can always revert to an earlier keychain using Time Machine.  The instructions on how to do this are here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3051407?start=0&tstart=0

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Edouard

toadstone

• Gentle Breeze
    • Big Low Weather, Rainow.
  • Station Details: Station: None Intel i5 Hackintosh 16gb RAM Yosemite
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
Hi Edouard,

Many thanks for your excellent suggestions.  Alas I could not find any Twitter info in the keychain. There were refs to WeatherCat but all related to FTP SQL etc  (anyone else reading this, leave these well alone they are for WeatherCat alone).

I did however notice a reference to the script files being in the Downloads Folder. I had inadvertently left an unzipped folder there. So the only solution was to delete all WeatherCat Script Folders both in Applications and Downloads. Before I did I copied the Twitter preferences script for ease. I then downloaded the whole caboodle again and hey presto the process was just as you described in your notes and appears to be working OK. I'm just playing around with the times now.  [cheers1]

@RainowWX 

Pete.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Glad it is now working! (Re: Patched version of WC Twitter Uploader)
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »
Glad you were able to get it working Pete!  [tup]